Caterpillars destroyed box hedge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came home from my hols to find my box hedge invaded by hundreds of green caterpillars, the local garden ctre advised destroying the lot, which we did but roots were so thick and extensive they are still there, can anyone advise what I can pour on
the ground to get rid of them please, Linda.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Get rid of the roots or the caterpillars? I think you mean the roots. You don't need to remove all the roots but if they are so dense that you cannot replant, I would contact an arborist about hiring a stump grinder.... or somebody strong enough to wield a pulaski axe effectively.

Sorry to hear about your hedge. Those Box Tree Moths (Cydalima perspectalis) are a terrible threat to Europe's native Boxwoods (Buxus sempervirens, etc.) as well...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah how frustrating!!! :( I feel your pain!

About 100 meters of box hedge destroyed in my garden over a couple of weeks, these box tree caterpillars are a menace. I don't know anyone in my town unaffected by them!

Was this a box hedge or established larger box tree? For the ones I've had to remove, I just used a fork and pulled the rootballs out (some minor roots left in ground, which won't be a problem).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
To kill a root chemically, yet recover fast, well fast compared to a nasty chemical like triclopyr anyway, you might consider the use of an organic solvent or organic oil fuel such as diesel fuel mixed with sugar. @Chuck brought this idea to my attention because it is used by some in his area of Texas. The sugar attracts a biology that will break down and compost the diesel fuel. Or rent something and just dig it up of course.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My friend, whose hedge was similarly destroyed, took it down to ground level and was surprised when it sprouted this Spring and started making a recovery.
Well that is the opposite of my post for sure! Thos is called Hard Pruning, a very valid method of renewal!

Last edited:

Ask a Question