Cat-safe indoor plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi im completely new to all of this. Ive only kept aquatic plants so far. I was wondering if there is any cat-safe easy house plants. Im a complete beginner so id definitely need easy stuff. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have recused many cats /kittens over the years, and never had a thought of unsafe plants for them. they don't eat plants in my house anyway. I have had up to 7 kittens roaming about with house plants in various position, none were touched . I have a scratching post for them, and put cat nip on it to encourage, which works. Placed some in good homes. I am down to three now, all over 15 years old. and they get to roam my garden at will, and house plants still prevail without a worry about.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have recused many cats /kittens over the years, and never had a thought of unsafe plants for them. they don't eat plants in my house anyway. I have had up to 7 kittens roaming about with house plants in various position, none were touched . I have a scratching post for them, and put cat nip on it to encourage, which works. Placed some in good homes. I am down to three now, all over 15 years old. and they get to roam my garden at will, and house plants still prevail without a worry about.
My cat ate a cactus many times so i definitely need something cat safe. Ive got some pretty stupid cats lol. They love swatting and chewing on everything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
they do make "cat grass" you can grow it in the house. pet stores carry it. if you supply them with that, that will deter them. Never had a cactus in my house. Sounds like you might need a water pistol to target them when doing something you don 't want them to do also. Do you have a scratching post, ply it with cat nip that helps. Ahh the sweet memories of 7 rescued kittens running a muck around. loved it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
they do make "cat grass" you can grow it in the house. pet stores carry it. if you supply them with that, that will deter them. Never had a cactus in my house. Sounds like you might need a water pistol to target them when doing something you don 't want them to do also. Do you have a scratching post, ply it with cat nip that helps. Ahh the sweet memories of 7 rescued kittens running a muck around. loved it.
I would use cat nip, except every time they get any they start attacking each other... alot. The cat grass could deter them, but ill definitely need something that wont hurt them at all. It also probably doesn't help that the only place i can put plants (my room) is where the cactus eating cat hangs out all the time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/cats-plant-list This is a list of toxic and non toxic plants to cats. It isn't a comprehensive list though so do your due diligence. I am a former Persian breeder and an avid gardener. I do have houseplants, although not as many as I used to have. I am lucky ( and that is all it is, luck) that my pets don't seem to bother my larger plants. I do have a cheap indoor greenhouse for the smaller ones. It has a zipper closing cover that prevents the cats from getting to the smaller plants. It is similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451663369732&psc=1

Reaction score
Country
United States
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/cats-plant-list This is a list of toxic and non toxic plants to cats. It isn't a comprehensive list though so do your due diligence. I am a former Persian breeder and an avid gardener. I do have houseplants, although not as many as I used to have. I am lucky ( and that is all it is, luck) that my pets don't seem to bother my larger plants. I do have a cheap indoor greenhouse for the smaller ones. It has a zipper closing cover that prevents the cats from getting to the smaller plants. It is similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583451663369732&psc=1
Thank you! Im going to look at the list right now :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
as a sort of side note. Last year one of my cats was roaming about the garden as I am working in it and suddenly I saw him just reach up and grab a wiegela leaf and swallow it. So there thinking---dead cat, or vet bill. Went inside and looked it up, and the leaves are edible. So learned something. That same cat is with us fine and dandy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the aspca website has a master list, which I've looked up sometimes when at the nursery. I am more concerned about having highly toxic plants near my cat than ones that would just give them a stomach upset. My first cat used to eat everything, but the one I have now never touches my plants. Ever. So it really depends. I would avoid lilies entirely (Come to find out I have a plant in the lily family, but I've had it for years, the cat never chews on it, and I'm cutting off the blooms since I know the pollen is especially easy to spread and get on the cat)

That said, I love a mother-in-law's tongue. I think they're mildly toxic in giving them a stomach ache maybe, but they're such a stiff-leafed plant I can't imagine any cat chewing on them. Calathea's are great and nontoxic - try a rattlesnake plant as they move around and are vibrant. I also have a parlor palm, also nontoxic and super easy to grow.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I encourage chickweed, as it is a superfood for us humans, and saw my oldest cat chewing away on it this week. In preference to mere grass.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw several people direct you to the ASPCA website, but here are some from personal experience with:
All Hoya varieties
All peperomia varieties
All pilea varieties
True ferns - be careful, there are some ferns (like the asparagus fern) that actually aren’t ferns at all. They’re lilies, and lilies are definitely not safe for cats.
Palms - majesty palm, ponytail palm and parlor palm are safe for pets. They are the most common palm varieties you’ll find inside. There are a few palm varieties to watch out for. In particular, the sago palm is extremely toxic to humans and animals alike. Best avoid that one.
All prayer plant varieties - this includes stromanthe, calathea, ctenanthe, and maranta
Spider plants - though these are said to have similar effects to catnip, they’re completely safe for occasional chewers

hope this helps! Anything to keep our babies (cats and plants) safe is worth researching

Ask a Question