Cat problem

JoshPosh

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
Currently I have a cat pest problem. They are hanging around my wifes garden area and pooping in the soft dirt. I would hear my wife scream when ever she gets a hint of it while tending to her flowers.

Any suggestion? I don't want to call animal control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Currently I have a cat pest problem. They are hanging around my wifes garden area and pooping in the soft dirt. I would hear my wife scream when ever she gets a hint of it while tending to her flowers.

Any suggestion? I don't want to call animal control.
Pecan shell mulch will stop cats. The sharp edges of the shells hurt their feet

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
If you don't have access to pecan shell mulch (great stuff that adds to the fertility of the soil) you can use any prickly trimmings you can get--rose branches, blackberry canes, etc. Just lay them around in the garden and the cats will get the idea.
Are these feral cats? If so, calling animal control would be a humane thing to do. Feral cats usually lead short, brutal lives.

Reaction score
On her indoor plants my sister uses seashells or rocks around the base of her plants, but I don't think that will work in a big outdoor garden.

Reaction score
You can get cocoa shells by the bag to lay on top of the ground so the cats won't want to walk on it. As a bonus your yard will smell like chocolate for a while :) We found that very effective in the yard where I worked.

Reaction score
Everyone has suggested some really good ideas :) I liked the mulch and cocoa shells suggestion :) I think those are the best way to stop those cats from getting into your wife's garden! My cat used to do that every time he saw some loose dirt! It's so damn annoying and dangerous... you might not know, but cat poo can expose your wife to Toxoplasmosis.

Reaction score
I love cats, but the wild ones can be mean and nasty! I think it would be best to call animal control. If not, more will be there in the spring!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I think I heard that chicken wire here and there will discourage them from getting into the soft dirt although it takes away from the attractiveness of the garden. I know that they will continue to come back time and time again when they have urinated somewhere. If you have a patio area near the garden that can be sprayed, it is best not to use a product with bleach because the smell is pleasant to cats. Here is a link for a good cleaner if needed:

http://cats.about.com/od/cleaningmesses/tp/odorout.htm

Ask a Question