Castor Beans

Reaction score
Personally, yes the Castor Oil Beans can be very poisonous, if you don't know what your doing. I grew up around Castor Oil Plants and my family has always been using the beans from the plants to make the oil. I've been drinking the oil for many years because my mom always gave it to my siblings and I for the use of a laxative. I can't stand the taste of it, but it's very good for you. Recent studies, have stated that the Castor Oil Beans from the plant cures cancer. I've heard it from people where I'm from testifying that Castor Oil cured their cancer and other illnesses.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, this is not a plant that I ever heard of and don't think I want to have it in my garden. It looks pretty but I'll pass.

Hi, Pat.

Castor Oil Plants are not toxic or dangerous if you have them planted around you. They're only dangerous if you take the seeds an attempt to make the oil, and don't know want your doing. That's dangerous right there!!! But you can go to a supermarket or pharmacy and purchase the Castor Oil. It's good for your hair, skin and can be drank internally as a laxative.

Reaction score
Although I hear you what you are saying NaturalBeauty 3 and appreciate that because you grew up with Castor Bean Plants that you see them differently.

I would disagree - as The Castor Bean Plant certainly could be the wrong plant to have growing in your garden if you have young children or animals - especially as it is the beans that are known to be toxic if ingested - which as the beans are quite attractive and the sort thing that young children like to play with, chew on or even make necklaces out of - it would not be the sort of plant a responsible parent or grandparent would want to have growing in their garden or those that had pets either - as pets like to chew things too and particularly so - if they had ever had the unpleasant experience of having to watch the horrendous suffering an animal goes through after ingesting poisonous plants.

Reaction score
Although I hear you what you are saying NaturalBeauty 3 and appreciate that because you grew up with Castor Bean Plants that you see them differently.

I would disagree - as The Castor Bean Plant certainly could be the wrong plant to have growing in your garden if you have young children or animals - especially as it is the beans that are known to be toxic if ingested - which as the beans are quite attractive and the sort thing that young children like to play with, chew on or even make necklaces out of - it would not be the sort of plant a responsible parent or grandparent would want to have growing in their garden or those that had pets either - as pets like to chew things too and particularly so - if they had ever had the unpleasant experience of having to watch the horrendous suffering an animal goes through after ingesting poisonous plants.

I totally agree with you.

All I'm pointing out is you can have them grown around but not directly in your garden. I never mentioned planting the Castor Oil Plant in your garden. No, I don't see them differently from anyone else because I know they're very dangerous. They can be grown around you but away from pets and young children. I have acres of land where I'm living and we do not plant the Castor Oil Plants around other plants or vegetation. We plant them separately by themselves and their fensed around. My family have been in the agricultural business for years and we know what we're doing... Thanks for your concern though!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, Pat.

Castor Oil Plants are not toxic or dangerous if you have them planted around you. They're only dangerous if you take the seeds an attempt to make the oil, and don't know want your doing. That's dangerous right there!!! But you can go to a supermarket or pharmacy and purchase the Castor Oil. It's good for your hair, skin and can be drank internally as a laxative.

Sorry, Pat my bad. Yes, Castor Oil Plants are toxic and very dangerous but you don't want to grow them in your garden so, children and animals can get a hold of them. The best way to grow them and have them around is to grow them by themselves. Usually, some people will build a fense around them with a warning sign. But they're good to have around if you're using it for personal use, and know what you're doing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I have seen them all over Florida and never seen warning signs or special fences. That doesn't mean it would be wrong to do so. I have seen signs near oleander plants, but only in public plantings on roadsides or parks. Oleander is actually dangerous. Petunias are poisonous, few people die from them.

Reaction score
I have seen them all over Florida and never seen warning signs or special fences. That doesn't mean it would be wrong to do so. I have seen signs near oleander plants, but only in public plantings on roadsides or parks. Oleander is actually dangerous. Petunias are poisonous, few people die from them.

You don't necessarily have to put warning signs or fences around your Castor Oil Plants but for the safety of kids being around. I'm living in the US Virgin Islands and they grow wild, especially in the rain forest. The reason why my family have theirs fenced because we run an agricultural business and process the seeds to make the Castor Oil. People will often see the plant and know its a Castor Oil Plant and pick the seeds. Many people got poisoned from the seeds because they tried making the oil by themselves or boiled the seeds as a tea. But never heard of anybody dying from them where I'm from. If you don't reach to the emergency room in time, then it can become deadly.

Mean point is you got to know what your doing!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Actually there has been a castor oil plant in my backyard for years and i had no idea whatsoever that this plant was toxic at one point i was considering to make some castor oil but had no idea as to how it was done; it was a great thing i did not mess around with it.

Reaction score
Actually there has been a castor oil plant in my backyard for years and i had no idea whatsoever that this plant was toxic at one point i was considering to make some castor oil but had no idea as to how it was done; it was a great thing i did not mess around with it.

Good thing you didn't attempt to make the oil yourself. Your family would of been rushing you to the emergency room. Definitely, you would have been poisoned by the oil. You wouldn't have died instantly like others have stated but you would off felt ill. The only way you would die; if you didn't make it to the emergency room on time.
clear.png

Reaction score
When I was growing up in Texas, castor bean plants were very common in out area. The plant is beautiful with its large leaves and the variety of different colors on the plant. And I think the flowers are lovely. We never had any instances of pets or any children poisoned by them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Good thing you didn't attempt to make the oil yourself. Your family would of been rushing you to the emergency room. Definitely, you would have been poisoned by the oil. You wouldn't have died instantly like others have stated but you would off felt ill. The only way you would die; if you didn't make it to the emergency room on time.
clear.png
You can buy castor oil in any drugstore or in bulk from feed stores. The process for extracting the oil denatures the traces of ricin found in the beans. Extracting ricin is a difficult process and quite distinct from the much simpler process for extracting the oil. Tomato plants are also toxic, as are petunias. Oleander is far more toxic and also widely grown as an ornamental. There is no danger from castor oil You may want to handle the raw beans with care as some people are allergic to other compounds found in the beans. Once heated during the extraction process all danger is gone.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hello.I have around 1000 kg C ASTOR beans-,,ricinus communis,,from an ecological culture...I give commisoin if somebody can help me to sel my culture beans .Thank you (e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think we are getting into a pissing match here. The OP is correct that this post was solely about the Caster Bean plant and it is extremely poisonous. Dead is dead, whether it takes one second or several hours. The average person should not have these anywhere that children, or pets have access to them... or stupid people either, so be careful about your guests too (....Live PD folks!!). (That was NOT a dig at anyone on this forum.) Hey, maybe the person with deer problems eating their tulips could..... nah, that's cruel and they are probably too smart to eat them anyway. I'm just trying to lighten the tone a bit.

Ask a Question