Carrot Tops (Green leaves)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
My preserving practice is to make a drinkable liquid of all my plants. Slurry or juice if you like. Recently I have been incorporating carrots tops in the juice with success.

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/carrotops.html
The leaves of carrot ARE considered edible and are highly nutritive, rich in protein, minerals and vitamins. They contain 6 times the vitamin C of the root and are a great source of potassium and calcium.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't know that you can eat or use the carrot top! My mom has some in her garden and you bet I will chop those to make drinks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Isn't the carrot tops a bit bitter? I haven't tasted it yet but a nephew said that carrot juice is kinda sweet but the carrot top, that green part, is not palatable. However, one other nephew said that a carrot smoothie tastes better with the green top. So there, a debate in progress about that carrot top.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I only stated using the tops in my last two juice efforts and notice no bitter taste. Mind you the carrots are relatively young, and I probably wouldn't use them if the carrots were mature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I only stated using the tops in my last two juice efforts and notice no bitter taste. Mind you the carrots are relatively young, and I probably wouldn't use them if the carrots were mature.

Yes, I understand that the carrot you used has a young top. There are just some people who have a different taste when it comes to vegetables. Like me, I don't go much for broccoli which is the favorite of my husband. And with that carrot juice, my 2 nephews obviously wouldn't agree with each other's taste buds.

Ask a Question