Cardinal Flower wilt

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first time trying to grow cardinal flower. I'm in the Chicago area. I purchased them from a nursery between 5-12 inches tall this spring and I have the hybrid and the green variety. I've noticed the green variety likes only about 5 hours of morning sun with the rest of the day in shade. Because of sun burn type symptoms, I recently moved one of the green variety to the same shade spot where another green plant was thriving . The hybrid variety seems to tolerate more sun but needs some shade. I've got a soaker hose in place on a timer and water daily for about 20 minutes. The soil stays moist under the mulch. I've just started seeing blooms form here in early July but I'm concerned about the wilt of the top of the plant. I can't tell if it's a moisture or sun issue. I have noticed that the green variety that's been in the most shade has not started to bloom yet. Anyone have experience with this?

Attachments

• 20170709_090020.jpg
    20170709_090020.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 449
  • 20170709_090056.jpg
    20170709_090056.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 395
  • 20170709_091307.jpg
    20170709_091307.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 327
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. :)

I'm not familiar with those plants, do they like constantly damp soil? Because that's an awful lot of water they're getting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Lobelia Cardinalis like to have permanently moist soil and are quite often chosen to plant at the edge of a pond or in a bog garden. They prefer full sun but should be happy in part shade.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sheal you're right. Everything I've read says they like constantly moist soil. Since some of these are in part shade Im going to dial back the water a bit and see how they respond. I just wonder if it's possible to over water these.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's worth trying Tomcolt and if that doesn't work try giving them more water. What type of soil do you have? That will make a difference too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sheal that's a good question and I've been wondering that. I'm fairly new to trying to achieve my green thumb so I"m not sure where to start. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Clay sets like rock and cracks in dry weather, it's almost impossible to dig too. When wet it holds together and is heavy to work with. Clay from certain areas is used for making pottery.

Sandy soil is very crumbly when dry and easy to work with wet or dry. Plants grown in this soil will need a lot of feeding and watering.

Loamy soil is the type of soil you would find on a forest floor, very rich from plenty of leaf mould (rotted down leaves) and perhaps peat in the wetter areas. The perfect soil for many plants and gardeners - but rare.

I've not had experience of chalky so can't help with that.

Ask a Question