Car MOT UK.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A quick (unusual) message for anyone living here in the UK. Are you aware MOT's can be checked online for any car not even your own car and are you aware you can sign up for an MOT reminder?

I've just signed up because our Yeti is due its first MOT in April this year the Yeti then being three years old so needing it's MOT by law. I've opted for email reminder because I never use texting.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A quick (unusual) message for anyone living here in the UK. Are you aware MOT's can be checked online for any car not even your own car and are you aware you can sign up for an MOT reminder?

I've just signed up because our Yeti is due its first MOT in April this year the Yeti then being three years old so needing it's MOT by law. I've opted for email reminder because I never use texting.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Kind regards, Colin.

Yes
It's just a case of putting it into the DVLA website.

I checked on the 1998 CRV I pxd thirteen years ago. It passed its last MOT in 2017 after 19 years having done 134,145 miles .
I guess it was scrapped after that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes Do know that(y)............... The law Is Quite Funny on MOTs My 63 VW Beetle no longer has to have MOTs by law as its classed as Vintage it also is exempt from Tax payments & insurance comes to next to nothingo_O................My work van is different its a 2001 VW T4 and has to go through MOTs like most vehicles but I'm not worried It passed with flying colours yesterday:cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Yes Do know that(y)............... The law Is Quite Funny on MOTs My 63 VW Beetle no longer has to have MOTs by law as its classed as Vintage it also is exempt from Tax payments & insurance comes to next to nothingo_O................My work van is different its a 2001 VW T4 and has to go through MOTs like most vehicles but I'm not worried It passed with flying colours yesterday:cool:

Your VW is in the same category as our youngest son and his partner's '67, "Splitty," they call it Ruby. He with the help of her brother-in-law, who has a body-shop, completely restored it ten years ago. It came from Utah..so no rust!

They've been all over Europe in it, even Switzerland.

It draws a crowd wherever they park it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Sean Regan that's Such a Cool Camper(y) Just finishing A massive restoration on my Beetle But one day I want to take it over to Europe Too. I'll Get some fresh Photos Done of her In Spring/Summer, maybe Parked in the Garden lol As toughs old V Dubs just look So good parked in a Garden amongst a few flowers lol ..................I think its there Hippy Connection:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the kind words.

"Ruby" had a complete restoration from body shell up. His partner made the curtains on her sewing machine. He did all the internal work and make the wooden fittings.
Things like door cards etc' can be easily obtained. But he had to source some new side windows to replace the louvred ones originally fiited and find replacement front seats and restore the bulkheads, as it arrived with modern reclining front seats. Now it's as it was in 1967 apart from the leather upholstery and memory foam filling.

They've had it for about ten years now. Don't use it so much as they bought a holiday home in the Pennines and have spent a lot of time doing it up at week-ends.. For the last few years they've done very little mileage.So Ruby spends most of her tiime in a heated garage. But she's a constantly increasing in value asset.

On holiday this blue Splity pulled up alongside them at a service station. He and the owner got talking.
It had lowered suspension, disc brakes, low profile tyres on wide alloy wheels and a Porsche engine.

Last edited:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What a lovely camper you have Sean; I can understand your enthusiasm and pride in it; aren't they delightful to drive being forward control with a nice "thrum" out of the rear exhaust; not only a classic these days but a useable classic too which can keep up with modern traffic once it gets rolling. Thanks for sharing the excellent pictures; pretty lady too. :)

It's about 43 years ago I bought the split screen camper I owned; I think I paid at the time either £125 or £150 for it and it had the 1.200cc beetle engine which did a decent job of moving it along; I completely resprayed it in red cellulose using a Sprayit 122 spray outfit. My camper if I recall correctly had a hob hinged to one of the middle doors and also had a sink installed. In those long ago days I exchanged my vehicles on a regular basis whilst what are now classic cars were run of the mill then.

https://www.justkampers.com/marketplace/advert/list/id/3/

You'll be looking forward to warmer weather allowing you to use it; VW are perhaps bringing out a new version of this much loved camper and if they do they need to get on with it before another manufacturer cashes in on the idea?

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/19827/vw-camper-reborn

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My mistake Sean but still a lovely camper; are you allowed to borrow it? :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My mistake Sean but still a lovely camper; are you allowed to borrow it? :D

Kind regards, Colin.

To be honest, I've never asked. I've been in it a few times. The suspension's probably "the same as on a magic carpet."
It'd be harder for my wife to get in and out than our CRV. Considering the standard of modern driving, I'm not that much in favour of a vehicle with only a bit of sheet metal in front of your knees

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest, I've never asked. I've been in it a few times. The suspension's probably "the same as on a magic carpet."
It'd be harder for my wife to get in and out than our CRV. Considering the standard of modern driving, I'm not that much in favour of a vehicle with only a bit of sheet metal in front of your knees

LOL! Love the simile!

I might digress a bit. Please forgive me, @Colin !

I had two Goodyears tyres replaced and saw that Hal** and some other companies like ASDA did it and I wanted to get cashback, so I opted for Hal**. They then told us that the brake pads needed replacing and they also raised concerns over the discs. As our car is a Nissan, we were told by a Nissan operative that we didn't need to have the discs replaced. In the end, we went to another MOT man we had used before. He told us that the discs could do probably 30k miles. What does it tell you? Hal****, when confronted with this observation, said we could keep the receipt and next time we needed to have the discs replaced, we could have it done free of charge!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever I need a tyre replacing. I always get a quote from three major suppliers. The third one I phone is Quikfit.
I take the first quote to the second supplier, which will offer me a better price, I take that to Quikfit which will beat that.
I came to the conclusion years ago, that there's no such thing as an actual retail price for tyres. It's what they think they can get for them.

As for servicing, one of the members of my golf club has a car servicing business, he does all our cars at "mates rates."

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever I need a tyre replacing. I always get a quote from three major suppliers. The third one I phone is Quikfit.
I take the first quote to the second supplier, which will offer me a better price, I take that to Quikfit which will beat that.
I came to the conclusion years ago, that there's no such thing as an actual retail price for tyres. It's what they think they can get for them.

Agree totally. When you watch Antique Road trip, you will realise that daylight robberies can get very vicious. I admire the dealers who stand firm!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Yes Sean the VW camper has virtually zero protection in the event of a crash not even having airbags; the ride though was ultra smooth and relaxing; Bron and I have been watching this series on TV via YouTube;

There are horrific crashes where the driver and passengers have walked away with minor injuries demonstrating just how much car safety has improved over recent years.

Absolutely no problem digressing alp; all discussion is interesting and it's surprising where many of the threads end up. Yes it pays to shop around; we recently decided to have four new Michelin Cross Climate tyres fitted to our Yeti after watching lots of YouTube winter tyre videos. I tried contacting one company online who could supply these tyres but I couldn't proceed further when asked for my mobile phone number; not everyone has a mobile phone welded to their ear.

I then contacted;

https://www.tyresonthedrive.com/

tyresonthedrive were absolutely brilliant; the new Michelins were similar price to those on eBay but unlike eBay the tyres were fitted here on our driveway with free fitting and balancing; the young tyre fitter was very professional taking about an hour to fit the four tyres; buying four tyres gave the free fitting; it sure was easy and all done at home without the hassle of hanging around or the hassle of driving. I once bought two winter tyres online the tyres arriving from Germany the next day but it cost an extra £20 to have the tyres fitted plus the hassle of leaving home etc; in future even if it costs a bit extra I'll just deal with tyresonthedrive. The four Michelins cost just under £600.

Since the tyres were fitted we had snow all around us but only a dusting here which is very typical of our luck but there's still plenty of time for it to snow. Unlike the previous two winter tyres these Michelins can be left on the car full time and they've made a huge difference to the comfort of our Yeti which delights us.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question