Cape gooseberry plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I am pretty sure that we have some of these, or at least, we had them last year , growing out in the meadow. I wasn't sure what they were at the time, and it looked like a nightshade plant, so I didn't want to try eating one. But this year, I am going to look and see if I can find them in blossom, and then I can be sure if they are actually a cape gooseberry or not. They are similar to a tomatillo, and the article I read said that they are sweet, and can be used for jams or sweetbread , or eaten as a snack.
It says that they are perennial if it not too cold, and can also be grown inside, and will then bloom and fruit year around.
I am including a picture of the fruit, and its little husk, and the flower is a delicate pale yellow with dark stripes inside the petals. If mine comes back this year, I will take actual pictures of it.
image.jpg

Reaction score
I grew those last year. I did not get a whole lot of fruit, and my plants were freakishly short. Mines were called ground cherries so maybe that is a different variety. I liked the taste but as I said before I wish the plant produced more.

Ask a Question