Canteloupe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So I started a bunch of different flowers and fruits from seed, kind of thinking some would not be so lucky. I only started 2 cantaloupe pots with 2 seeds each. TO my surprise, all four have germinated and seem to be doing well. What do I need to know about these? I have a large space in the garden for them, but how big will a vine get and how many fruits can I expect each one to produce? What is the best way to grow them? Let them grow along the ground, or supported with some type of trellis?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can only give you my experience, which may not help since I am in a much colder climate, but in general, they like very rich composted soil and grow VERY long vines. Most of mine get two or three melons on a vine , taking about 100 to 120 days to mature. I grow mine on the ground because they get too heavy to be supported on a trellis, but I do put a layer of plastic sheeting under them to keep the moisture from the ground off them. You probably wouldn't have that problem where you are. My ground is very cold, and the plants need heat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well heat shouldn't be a problem. We ate upper 70s,lower 80s now. It will be low to mid 90s by the time they harvest. I'll probably get some melon cradles to keep them out of the dirt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well heat shouldn't be a problem. We ate upper 70s,lower 80s now. It will be low to mid 90s by the time they harvest. I'll probably get some melon cradles to keep them out of the dirt.
Once it gets a little warmer DO NOT water with a spray and wet the leaves. ONLY water the stem out to about a 2 foot diameter. Otherwise you are inviting mildew and that is BAD.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Are these perennial? Freezes are infrequent and VERY short lived here (I think this winter it was below freezing all of 2 hours)

Ask a Question