Cantaloupe a climber?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I planted two cantaloupe from seed this year. So far they are doing great and have lots of little yellow flowers on them, hotshot that means fruit to follow. Today I noticed that the various rubbers on the plants seem to be grabbing onto one another with little tendrils. Are these meant to be climbing plants? I was just letting thme go along the ground, but the look like they want to climb. Sorry if it's a silly question. Still learning here.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think most vining plants want to climb. I think people don't let them because they are afraid the fruit will get too heavy and drop off. If you can build them a trellis, then you can use the ground underneath to plant other things. (y) :)

I know that properly supported, you can grow watermelons vertically! :eek:

This watermelon grew to 17 lbs, supported by pantyhose.

upload_2017-5-24_8-21-31.jpeg

https://abundantminigardens.com/growing-watermelon-on-trellises/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks, I've got some tomatoe cages that should work. I might give it a try, at least wit one. Need to figure out a way to keep critters from the melon once it starts to grow. I was going to use crates, but that won't work in the air!

Ask a Question