Can't Identify the problem !

Reaction score
Country
India
My rose plant looks fine overall but the new born leaves and buds don't look healthy.
Cant identify the problem....

Have attached the pics.
Please help me.....

Attachments

• RosePlant.jpg
    RosePlant.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 376
  • RosePlant2.jpg
    RosePlant2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 342
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
That really doesn't look too bad. Check the backside of the leaves for webbing or tiny, tiny red bugs. As a general preventive that won't harm your plants, give the whole rose bush a strong spray of water (tepid) and see what happens.
Give us an update in two or three days, with photos if possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck
What is thrips ? And is it really the cause ?

@marlingardener
Didn't you notice the black(burnt-like) tip of the bud ??
That looks abnormal to me....
Thrips are a super tiny insect that overwinters in the soil. I don't know if you have them in India or not but these insects crawl up the stem of different plants, especially roses and crawl inside the buds of plants and feed on the immature petals of the bud. Contact insecticides will not work on them. The only way to control them is with a systemic. Many gardeners here use a garlic spray which when applied early acts as a systemic as it will penetrate the the plants outer layer and become infused, thus acting as a poison to many sucking insects such as thrips. Google them. There is a lot of info.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
In hot and humid climates (like Texas!) some buds tip burn, or develop "balling" which is the browning of all the outer leaves of a rose bud. When it opens, the center is okay, but most of the flower is brown and wrinkled.
Tip burn usually doesn't really harm the bloom, except to make it unacceptable for cutting for a bouquet. It doesn't harm the plant itself, and when cooler and drier weather arrives, the tip burn goes away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
http://www.gardenguideshttp://www.gardenguides.com/325-common-rose-pests-part-1-aphids-thrips.html.com/325-common-rose-pests-part-1-aphids-thrips.htmlhttp://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7429.html
Marlingardener what you are describing are thrips. They do their damage when warm weather arrives and normally go away when it gets cooler. Sometimes they will affect tomatoes and peppers but the only way you know this is when the blooms open and they are browned or distorted.
You cannot see these things. They are extremely small. The only way to know if you have them is if you take off a bud and open it up over a sheet of white paper. They look like dust, smaller even than a spider mite. On tomatoes and peppers the blossom end of a newly set fruit will turn brown and the plant will abort the baby fruit. Like you say, this will not damage the plant only the flowers and/or fruit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck
I will try to identify and control thrips on my rose plant.

Hopefully, expecting better results this time.
Take that damaged bud off and tear it open over a sheet of white paper. If you have thrips they will look like little motes of dust, much smaller than fine ground black pepper. You may not have them but that damaged bud sure looks like what they do.

Reaction score
Country
India
Yes....I did that and surprisingly found only one tiny little thing which was maybe white or yellow in color.
It was extremely difficult to be identified by naked eye.

I don't know what was it.....but cant believe....there was only one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes....I did that and surprisingly found only one tiny little thing which was maybe white or yellow in color.
It was extremely difficult to be identified by naked eye.

I don't know what was it.....but cant believe....there was only one.
There was a lot more than one. They will be deeply embedded completely throughout the bud. They are sucking insects a lot like aphids and will become attached to the petals. You will need a magnifying glass to really see them

Reaction score
It's a bit hard to tell what the problem is in the photo, but they do not look terrible. It looks as though they are a bit dehydrated, but only at the very tip of the bud. I wonder, are they getting enough water? If so, it might be some sort of bug inside of the plant itself.

Reaction score
Country
India
Please don't confuse me.....I water the roses sufficiently.

Don't really know when will I succeed in growing healthy rose plants.

Just keep dreaming about it.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Could you tell us the names of your roses? For example, we have Esperanza, Clytemnestra, etc. in our gardens. If we knew the name, or even the type of rose you have (floribunda, grandiflora, own-root tea rose, grafted tea rose, etc.) we could give better advice.
I don't see why roses wouldn't grow well in India--we just need to point you in the direction of the proper rose!

Ask a Question