Canned potatoes

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm in the process of harvesting well over 200 pounds of new potatoes from our East Texas garden. The climate here is hot and hotter and humid and more humid from May to October...often days of 100 and 100 are common starting about June.

Every method I've tried of storing them in this climate has led to about 5 to 6 months of quality storage time. I've tried about every method, even created a few of my own, but 6 months is about tops for quality storage...quality being defined as potatoes tasting good like new potatoes. New potatoes are just too good to waste!

In search of better methods and at least 12 months of quality storage, a few years ago we started canning the smaller ones. They turned out excellent...and they revealed a shelf life of at least two years (maybe longer but we eat them all well before that). Now, canning has become my "go to" storage method for them.

We do about 14 jars at a time and spread it out over three weeks so it isn't a huge burden...but what a blessing next winter!!!

canned potatoes 2022.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I had no idea that you could can whole potatoes. I canned them for the 1st time last year and cut them down to cubes.

Ask a Question