Cannas

Reaction score
Cannas - Hybrids.jpg

These tropical looking plants are becoming increasingly popular - as not only do they add almost instant structure and a bold striking presence to any garden but they are extremely versatile too - as they look stunning whether grown in containers or in large clumps in the garden.

So whether you are looking for something with bold striking foliage or stunning flowers or are one of those impatient gardeners looking for something that grows quickly and looks stunning all summer long - there is bound to be a Canna that will catch your eye - as there are many varieties and sizes to choose from and even some with unusual multicolored leaves as well as exotic looking two toned flowers like these

Cleopatra - with striking foliage and a stunning bi -colored flower

Canna - Cleopatra - with flower.JPG

Stuttgart - with white and green variegated foliage and orange flowers

Canna - Stuttgart.jpg

The bi-colored flower of Angel Martin

Canna - Angel Martin - Flower.JPG

Tropicanna Series

Canna - Tropicanna display.jpg

Phasion

Canna - Phasion or Tropicanna.jpg

Pretoria often known as Bengal Tiger

Canna - Pretoria.jpg

As now is a good time to be planting Cannas you will be pleased to know - that most of the varieties shown above are available from good garden stores as well as online and should any of you have any favorites you would like to add - please feel free to do so :D

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Gata! Those plants seem to be super popular where I live, they are definitely not a rare sighting over here. They look so beautiful and so far I've been lucky enough to get to see several varieties with my very own eyes. I will definitely get some of those when I have my own garden :) The last two are so beautiful...!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It must be nice to live in the area where plants like these are very popular, Trellum:)
I've never seen any cannas in my country, I think. If somebody grew them, I'm sure I'd notice it, because they look very exotic.

This is dwarf canna called 'Pink Beauty':

Dwarf+canna+Pink+Beauty.jpg

Are there any white cannas?

Reaction score
My pleasure Trellum and had thought that they were probably as popular where you live as they are here - as I vaguely remember discussing them with you at the latter part of last year - so hope that before too long - you get to enjoy the beauty of these magnificent plants in your own garden :)

Reaction score
" Pink Beauty " is one of my many favorites claudine and even though I always find it extremely difficult to choose just one Canna as a favorite - this one comes near the top for me - as it looks really stunning in real life :)

Think its a real shame that you haven't been lucky enough to have seen these gorgeous plants before though - especially as I know - they are very definitely grown where you live and although the flower colors of Cannas are normally known to be very vibrant - you will be very pleased to know - that yes - there are quite a few white varieties available and in fact many of the white varieties actually do better in slightly cooler climates like yours,

Although there are plenty of white Cannas to choose from - the most popular white and the one that is currently thought to be the best - is this one called " Ermine "

Canna - Ermine 1.JPG

which is closely followed by one of the older varieties " Ambassador "

Canna - Ambassador.jpg

and then " Tropical White "

Canna - Tropical White.jpg

This one I just couldn't resist adding as a choice - but only because of its name - " Miss Poland " :D

Canna - Miss Poland.jpg

Reaction score
My pleasure Trellum and had thought that they were probably as popular where you live as they are here - as I vaguely remember discussing them with you at the latter part of last year - so hope that before too long - you get to enjoy the beauty of these magnificent plants in your own garden :)

Hey there!! Well yeah!! They are quite popular, it seems the most common are the green ones, the most common flower color over here is red and red, in some really rare occasions orange ones can be seen, but as I said those sightings aren't that common :p I have also seen the ones with reddish leaves, mostly orange or red flowers ones (y) It's so easy to get those bulbs here :)

Reaction score
It must be nice to live in the area where plants like these are very popular, Trellum:)
I've never seen any cannas in my country, I think. If somebody grew them, I'm sure I'd notice it, because they look very exotic.

This is dwarf canna called 'Pink Beauty':

Dwarf+canna+Pink+Beauty.jpg

Are there any white cannas?

It is! They are very easy to take care of, so easy the home owners have them outside... at the reach of everything and everyone, even dogs!!! So yeah, cannas are so dang tough! I guess that's why everyone over here likes them, most gardens have one.

That cana is so beautiful!!!! I had no idea there were pink cannas, at least not in such a nice pink shade. Very pretty :love::love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gata Montes - these white cannas are gorgeous, thank you for telling us about them! Miss Poland is such a funny name:p I've never seen this plant in Poland, lol:p
But maybe they aren't popular only in my area.
Trellum - It's surprising, I didn't know that they're easy to take care of. Usually, big, flowering, exotic plants are rather hard to grow:) Maybe I should plant a few cannas in my garden;)

Reaction score
They are aren't they claudine but then I would say that as I think all Cannas are gorgeous :p you're welcome and am so glad that I did mention them - as otherwise you would never have known how magnificent these plants are - let alone be thinking of growing them - particularly as it seems like you should - especially as no one else in your area is growing them :D

As has already been mentioned Cannas are generally pretty easy to grow and care for - although there are some varieties that have slightly different requirements in terms of moisture or the amount of sun / shade needed - in order for them to thrive and look their best and of course one of the best things about Cannas - is that they grow and multiply very rapidly - which means not only do you have a decent sized plant in next to no time - but also many more than you started with the following year :):)

Cannas are normally planted round about now in most places and can be started off either as a rhizome or bought as a potted plant from your local nursery or garden store - all will happily grow in a container or when planted directly in the ground - so long as the soil is well drained and fairly loamy.

There is however one important aspect regarding the growing of Cannas that I feel I should mention and that is - although Cannas are grown as a perennial in many climates and left in the ground to multiply year after year - if you live in a climate where there is heavy rainfall over the winter months - as the rhizomes have a tendency to rot in extremely moist conditions - they are best - either planted in containers so that they can be moved undercover and kept relatively dry over the winter months or the rhizomes lifted in the autumn and left to dry over the winter and then replanted again in the spring. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The fancy-leaved Canna x generalis shown in the OP are among the finest of all Canna. My favourite cultivar is Canna x g. 'Phasion',
and Canna x g. 'Bengal Tiger' may well be the first runner up. Canna x g. 'Bengal Tiger' is purportedly a sport of Canna x g. 'Wyoming'.

Both cultivars popularity is also evident by the number of confusing synonyms each is burdened with.

Cultivar synonyms for Canna x generalis 'Phasion' include C. x g. 'Andalusia', C. x g. 'Durban', C. x g. 'Gold Ader', and C. x g. 'Tropicana'.
Furthermore, Canna x g. 'Phasion' is also sold as the trade name Tropicanna™.

Cultivar synonyms for Canna x generalis 'Bengal Tiger' include C. x g. 'Pretoria' and C. x g. 'Striata'.
It too is often sold under a trade name, Tropicanna Gold™.

Ask a Question