Can you use a weed sheet / pond liner to line a hole in the ground and plant eucalyptus in it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 eucalyptus that have outgrown their pots and I'd like to give them lots more space to grow but don't want to put them directly in the ground, I have a pond liner and weed sheet that were never used for their purpose so could I use them to line a hole and put the trees in there? Could this also work for other trees that I don't want to put directly in the ground like spruce

Also if it would work, would I need to make holes in the bottom of the liner for drainage or would that let the roots out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It would be better to get a bigger pot. That is essentially what you are doing. If you do this, yes you will have to poke holes in the bottom for drainage. And yes, that would permit the roots to grow out into the soil.

All in all, you need a bigger pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
It would be better to get a bigger pot. That is essentially what you are doing. If you do this, yes you will have to poke holes in the bottom for drainage. And yes, that would permit the roots to grow out into the soil.

All in all, you need a bigger pot.

Ah ok, can't really afford any bigger pots for the amount I need that's why I was wondering if I could do this instead.. Oh well

Ask a Question