Can you identify this one?

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I hope you can help me out with this plant. My father brought me a small bulb of this plant a while ago, I've noticed this plant is very common and doesn't need a lot care. I've seen it thriving outside of a lot houses, but over here we know it only as ''Perico'' :D I've tried to google it... but all I can get is pictures of parrots (perico means parrot in spanish). Here are some pictures of the plant (not taken by me):

canna_indica.jpg

8186922065_e985599c81_z.jpg

Reaction score
Looks very much like a Canna to me Trellum, :love: love them, they're truly beautiful exotic looking plants, with so many varieties of both foliage and flower color to choose from, am wondering what color are yours ?

Reaction score
I had an orange, yellow and red one when I was little :) My dad got some bulbs, I asked the name of the plant and he simply said ''pericos'', lol. I guess he made that up, because everytime I googled that name all I could see was pictures of parrots :p I guess this plant reminds you a bit of that bird of paradise plant you're trying to grow? I was reading just now that both plants come from south africa :D(y)

Reaction score
I had an orange, yellow and red one when I was little :) My dad got some bulbs, I asked the name of the plant and he simply said ''pericos'', lol. I guess he made that up, because everytime I googled that name all I could see was pictures of parrots :p I guess this plant reminds you a bit of that bird of paradise plant you're trying to grow? I was reading just now that both plants come from south africa :D(y)

:LOL: Your Dad sounds to have a mischievous steak :D as he keeps giving you plant names, which result in you finding anything from prisons to parrots, every time you Google them:D

Yes, they do both come from South Africa and do somewhat remind me of the Strelitzia, but the Strelitzia will always be my preference as it gives year round interest and the flowers are even more stunning, whereas the Cannas although very striking, die down in the winter months.
Think I'm drawn to the Cannas because I like strong, bold architectural shapes, and they fit perfectly into my planting schemes with their striking, often multicolored foliage and two toned showy flowers :) Are the oranges, yellows and reds your favorites ?

These are some of my favorites.

Tropicana small.JPG

The Tropicana series is always top of the list for me because of their multicolored foliage.

Dwarf+canna+Pink+Beauty.jpg

Like the dwarf varieties for containers, particularly this one called ' Pink Beauty '

canna-lucifer-1.jpg

and this one called ' Lucifer ' which seems to be a lot of peoples favorite.

As there are so many varieties and color variations of these beautiful exotic looking plants, it is actually quite difficult to narrow the choice down to just a few favorites, especially with new and even more desirable ones arriving every year, to tempt us to buy more :)

Reaction score
To be honest, I had NEVER seen the first and the second ones! :eek: The only ones I've seen so far are the ones with the green and red leaves, but the colours of the flowers are always red, orange and yellow (no dual colours) :( Over here the canna is a really common plant, but only the varieties I mentioned, I guess the most exotic looking ones can be bought at a store... maybe home depot :p

The cannas in the pictures you shared look amazing, specially the lucifer one! My favorite colour so far would be the orange one, but I felt so intrigued after you shared those pictures. I thought this plants were a bit boring... just one colour :giggle:

Yeah, I think he never liked to say he doesn't know, so he came up with the first name he could think of. LOL. He also liked to call the trascendecatia palida ''pollo''. LOL!

Reaction score
To be honest, I had NEVER seen the first and the second ones! :eek: The only ones I've seen so far are the ones with the green and red leaves, but the colours of the flowers are always red, orange and yellow (no dual colours) :( Over here the canna is a really common plant, but only the varieties I mentioned, I guess the most exotic looking ones can be bought at a store... maybe home depot :p

The cannas in the pictures you shared look amazing, specially the lucifer one! My favorite colour so far would be the orange one, but I felt so intrigued after you shared those pictures. I thought this plants were a bit boring... just one colour :giggle:

Yeah, I think he never liked to say he doesn't know, so he came up with the first name he could think of. LOL. He also liked to call the trascendecatia palida ''pollo''. LOL!

Am glad I posted the pictures then, otherwise you would have gone through life, thinking Cannas were boring mundane plants :D
There are some, even more amazing ones than I have posted here :) As far as I know most of these varieties are available throughout Europe and The States, but if you have any difficulty searching them out, can assure you, you can safely buy the tubers online - sometimes direct from the breeders :)
Just realized, that is why you probably haven't seen these Cannas for sale, as they are more often than not, sold as tubers and not as ready to go plants.

Definitely a character your Dad, am sure he would secretly be having a good chuckle, as you Googled " pollo " hoping to find out everything you could about Trascendecatia Palida, which of course, would have given you some invaluable information on chicken :LOL:

Reaction score
Yeah :ROFLMAO: My dad is quite a character, has always been :p I guess he just likes make names up for plants :LOL: LOL, ''pollo morado''.

As for cannas... if you say there are far more impressive looking cannas, I must say I feel intrigued now!! i thought cannas were just green (and sometimes dark red) plants with really pretty flowers :p But I saw them everywhere, so I thought... meh! But now you tell me there are some really exotic looking varieties out there :eek: Even more than the ones you posted... that's really mind blowing :D To be honest I find that so hard to imagine. I'll start investigating tho :)

Reaction score
:LOL: Would love to know what kind of information you got when your put that one into Google :ROFLMAO: just how much information is there on purple chickens ?

Forgot to say, if you think these plants look good in photos - then just wait till you see them in real life, they're truly magnificent, as the foliage and flower colors are even more striking :)
When investigating the Cannas, if you want the most exotic ones, look out for the Tropicana Series and the ones with multicolored flowers. I know there is a new one, coming next year with yellow and red flecked double flowers, but for the life of me, at this moment in time can't think of its name :)

Reaction score
Heh??? New one?? What you mean with new one?? :eek: Do you mean they are actually making them in a lab? You know... mixing them or something like that? If that's the case... I must say I feel very interested! It's kinda scary to think human beings like to meddle with that kind of things, I mean... that's like playing to be G-d, or something like that :p but I do appreciate their efforts! I love science in general, even more if it's mixed with gardening!

Reaction score
:LOL: Didn't quite mean ' new one ' in that way. :D but now that you mention it, realize it could easily sound like the makings of a horror movie. Just had a another really scarey thought - I do actually think that it is quite possible, that someone, somewhere in the world is currently undertaking an experiment of this nature :eek:

Seriously though - think this will come as a bit of a disappointment to you, by new one I meant another variety, which are normally done by cross pollination methods or grafting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Heh??? New one?? What you mean with new one?? :eek: Do you mean they are actually making them in a lab? You know... mixing them or something like that? If that's the case... I must say I feel very interested! It's kinda scary to think human beings like to meddle with that kind of things, I mean... that's like playing to be G-d, or something like that :p but I do appreciate their efforts! I love science in general, even more if it's mixed with gardening!

Actually, rose growers have done that kind of thing forever, and that is how we get all the new and beautiful varieties of roses every year. They grow and mix and modify until they get just the color, size and fragrance that they want, and then they patent it. It might even become the rosé of the year once it is patented.
I think they do about the same thing with irises, and I love to look at the new colors of iris they come out with every year.

Reaction score
happyflowerlady - yes, that is very true and very grateful we are too, for the many exquisite plants and flowers that are produced that way :)
Always seem to have a mental block on this one, as for some reason, my mind can never associate the mixing of natural and non naturally occurring plant chemicals etc, as something that is done in labs, by men in white coats :D my mind always seems to conjure up pictures of terrifying plant monsters. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction score
:LOL: Didn't quite mean ' new one ' in that way. :D but now that you mention it, realize it could easily sound like the makings of a horror movie. Just had a another really scarey thought - I do actually think that it is quite possible, that someone, somewhere in the world is currently undertaking an experiment of this nature :eek:

Seriously though - think this will come as a bit of a disappointment to you, by new one I meant another variety, which are normally done by cross pollination methods or grafting.

Ow, actually that's what I meant :p but I did fantasize a little with the idea of someone creating hybrid plants in a lad, lol. Maybe a huge rose bush creature :p I couldn't help it, what you said was kinda suggestive and I have a great imagination! My imagination requires too little to get itself started, and once it does that... you can't stop it :ROFLMAO::giggle:

Reaction score
Actually, rose growers have done that kind of thing forever, and that is how we get all the new and beautiful varieties of roses every year. They grow and mix and modify until they get just the color, size and fragrance that they want, and then they patent it. It might even become the rosé of the year once it is patented.
I think they do about the same thing with irises, and I love to look at the new colors of iris they come out with every year.

Wow! That's really interesting happyflowerlady! I never thought people could actually patent a rose :D The more I'm here, the more I learn about everything in general, but mostly about gardening! Uhm, to be honest I've always felt truly fascinated with this topic, I always wondered how they did it. It must require a lot patience and time to do this. What do they get by patenting a rose?? Can they pick the name or something like that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds like a wonderful thing to do, it would be my dream job! Creating new varieties of roses must be so much fun:) And it's very romantic!
I would create a big, white rose with sweet fragrance:D

Ask a Question