Can you identify this flower pls....

Reaction score
Hi guys, I planted this flower a few years back from a cutting from somewhere. I fell in love with its bright purple color. I put it in a glass of water first just to preserve it for a few days, but then I saw some roots coming out so I decided to plant it outside. It grew nice and had lots of flowers, but when it became bushy and leaves started drying out I decided to pull it out. After a few weeks I saw some new plants growing from where I pulled out that plant, I let it grow and discovered it is the same flowering plant. Then it grew more flowers but this time with lots of other colors. It is so amazing, now I have pink, light purple, white, and yellow and it just started with that one colored flower I cut off. Can anyone identify it for me please.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Your plant looks very much like Lantana Montevidenis which is also known as Shrub Verbena.

There are hundreds of different varieties of Lantana and although they are more commonly seen in coastal areas, will grow almost anywhere - they are normally evergreen and are extremely vigorous growers, drought tolerant and have a profusion of fragrant flowers, which if in a warm climate, will be continuous throughout the year, and they are, as you found out - incredibly easy to propagate.

Lantana Montevidenis is known as creeping Lantana because it has a more spreading habit than other varieties, and is normally identified by the fact that the flowers are normally lilac or white. The reason that some of your offspring have come out as yellow, is I think, due to the fact that when propagated, all Lantanas have a habit of not coming true, which is how some of the multi colored flowers came about :)

Reaction score
Silver surfer - I think you could well be right, and that the plant in the picture is probably more likely to be a Pentas Lanceolata rather than a Lantana.

Just for information purposes Lantana Montevidensis is not described as creeping because its like a vine, but because instead of growing bushy and upright like the other Lantanas - it tends grow sideways rather than upwards :D

Reaction score
Thank you gata montes for the info but I think Silver surfer is right. I clicked all the links about the Pentas Lanceolata and saw all the pictures of that flower and they are exactly what my flowers look like. Finally, now I know what to call them. Thank you guys, thank you Silver surfer for all those links, very helpful.

Ask a Question