Can you identify these peppers?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Early this spring I decided to try growing my own pepper plants for the first time. Much to my surprise, they grew phenomenally well. They now are full of blossoms/peppers. The problem is....the packet I grew was 'hot pepper mix' and I don't know what they are. I know I could wait until mature but I'm excited and want to start looking for ways to use them.

I know none of them are Anaheim as the peppers on that plant are huge and easily identifiable. I also know which are jalapeno. But there's 3 that I'm not 100% on nor do I know really anything about peppers. Oddly enough, out of the 6 plants I grew, it looks like I got 5 different varieties which I believe was about all that was in the seed packet. Unfortunately, I can't find the packet to check what said varieties were.

Is this one supposed to be turning color when it's so tiny?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is much too early to identify what the peppers are. The third picture of the purpling of the pepper is completely normal. It could be, although unlikely, the pepper changing to its ripened colors from green to purple to brown or black or possibly dark red. Many peppers also show a darkening like this on the stems and on the fruit during stages of development but before the ripening process begins. I would guess that the most common variety of pepper to do this is a jalapeno but many other varieties do this also. Only time will tell. Nice looking plants BTW.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know the feeling, I planted several types of chili and labeled them at the time, but lost the labels moving the pots around the greenhouse, because the grapevine was smothering them. They are doing really well, and we are starting to get green chilies, but finding out which are the hot ones is a bit of a game of chance :)

Ask a Question