Can you ID these apples?

Reaction score
Country
United States
These are growing in my yard, I’ll
See if I can post a picture. The fruit is pretty crisp and a little sweet but otherwise kind of bland. They’re rather waxy around the skin and appear to get red stripes around the tops as they ripen, not sure if they’re fully ripe yet though.

I can’t seem to post a picture..?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh. Here we go;
104667E6-51E7-46F6-95FD-275C6B9FAC19.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't tell. Those apples look like so many different varieties I've seen. Have you ever seen ghost apples? They look like this-- https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https://tse1.explicit.bing.net/th?id=OIP.pKMYlho0jB5MqGF_nM7CCwAAAA&pid=Api&f=1

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think those are it — I’m fairly sure mine aren’t totally ripe yet, but some of my friends said they might be gravenstein
I've seen and eaten gravenstein apples in CA. They are sweet, crisp, very large, and delicious! Our house was right next to a large apple orchard. Maybe these are small gravensteins?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is really difficult to tell, exactly the same type of apple can look very different depending on the growing conditions, have a look at the images for Golden delicious on Google, some are almost green, some really golden, some have the same sort of colouring starting to appear at the stalk end as yours, not to mention shape which also varies hugely. Cutting an apple in half across the middle can show differences in the seed structure, but really the best guide is taste, and that's a bit too much for the internet yet even if we had the expertise to tell :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are so many apple cultivars... Even an expert pomologist might be stymied, especially if an obscure heirloom is encountered. Provenance, flower, leaf, & other tree features, as well as the comparison of many fruit in different stages and conditions may be required. I imagine gravenstein is supected partly due to the striations on the skin, but many apples can develop these markings at least in certain situations. The photo also reminds me of another somewhat common cultivar: 'Northern Spy', but I admit that is just a shot in the dark.

Ask a Question