Can You Help Me Identify?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all!

Wanted to see if any of you could tell me what these plants/shrubs are, and if they need pruning? And if so, what's the best way to accomplish that? Some of you may have seen from my other post that gardening and such is VERY new to me and I am not familiar at all on this subject. BUT, I DO want to learn and really want to be able to take care of these things myself!!

We just moved into this house last Summer and everything was in bloom and looked nice and healthy. So, unless the crazy snow (live in South Central Pa) we got this Winter ruined any of them, I expect they will be ok this year too.

I just took these pics today so that means that what and how you see them is how they are in their current state. Not sure about you but, IMO it looks like most of this stuff has never been pruned/trimmed. IF they even require it. But you will also see that the beds DEFINITELY need a good clean up and new mulch which I plan to do.

On to the pics........I tried to FIRST take an up close photo of the shrub/tree/plant, then a second pic of it as I stepped back so you can gauge just how big it is and to see whether or not it needs pruning.

Plant 1A & Plant 1B - Close up and further away pic. Just wondering what it is? Prune it?
Plant 3A - Close up of the TWO SIDE plants in the photo labeled Plant 3B
Plant 3B - A step back view of the plants.
Plant 4A - Is what's BETWEEN the two plants in the photo labeled Plant 3B
Plant 5 - What's the green low lying stuff next to my Gold Thread Cypress? (the bush in the middle is a rose bush)
Plant 6A - Close up of 6B. Nothing to add. Just wondering what it is.
Plant 6B - A further away pic of 6A. It sits between my two Gold Thread Cypresses.
Plant 7 & 8 - What is this low lying/growing green that almost looks like grass?
Plant 9 - What is this that my overgrown Gold Thread Cypress is killing/laying on?
Plant 10 - Is this also a rose bush? Never saw blooms on it like my other ones and I have several others around the property like it that also never put out any blooms.

So, any help identifying would be great! Also any tips on how to cut them back/prune would be appreciated too!! Thanks!!!

Attachments

• plant1a.jpg
    plant1a.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 324
  • plant1b.jpg
    plant1b.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 311
  • plant2a.jpg
    plant2a.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 292
  • plant2b.jpg
    plant2b.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 375
  • plant3a.jpg
    plant3a.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 318
  • plant3b.jpg
    plant3b.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 342
  • plant4a.jpg
    plant4a.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 326
  • plant5.jpg
    plant5.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 309
  • plant6a.jpg
    plant6a.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 324
  • plant6b.jpg
    plant6b.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 283
  • plant7.jpg
    plant7.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 320
  • plant8.jpg
    plant8.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 367
  • plant9.jpg
    plant9.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 330
  • plant10.jpg
    plant10.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 327
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
Hi! Plant 6 is a Pieris Japonica. Plant 1, may be a Boxwood. 8 looks like a phlox, same for 7 or dianthus possibly. plant 5 looks like a low growing blue spruce, may be a blue rug or a blue star juniper. The others I'm afraid I don't know :(

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
You guys are great!! Thanks so much. I can at least start looking up the ones that have been identified. Hopefully someone will come along and be able to tell me what the ones are in 3b since they are so huge and really look like they need a trim. Not to mention they are squeezing the life out of whatever is in the middle of them!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a better pic of that one shrub/plant. Any guesses as to what it is?

Attachments

• 20160320_172811.jpg
    20160320_172811.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 319

Ask a Question