Can you grow more than 1 seed in a pot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have almost 20 marigold seeds that are germinating, I just laid them all down in a pot of soil, gave it a couple sprays of water, and put a clear glass plate over it, it is sitting in front of a sunny window. I want a nice giant bush of marigolds, but the internet tells me that I should space the seeds about 5 inches apart. Is it a problem that I have too many plants growing in one place? I plan on doing this with some Sunflowers or Zinnias also.
Also why isn't there a category for flowers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I don't have much experience growing marigolds from seed, but generally you can start new seeds in one pot but very soon after they sprout they will have to be transplanted so they all have space to grow. A problem you may encounter is that the little seedlings may be hard to separate in the transplanting process and you might loose some of them. That's why the seed packets will usually tell people how much space to leave between seeds, and then again, how much space to leave when transplanting seedlings in the place where you want them to grow into adult plants. If you have too many seeds too close together you will probably have to transplant them very soon after they sprout, for example you will probably have to transplant them with only the primary leaves plus the first true leaves and many may not survive such an early transplant or the delicate operation required. Of course it depends on the size of the pot they are seeded in. You will get a nice bushy clump of marigolds, not by growing them too close together, but by following the instructions on the seed packets regarding spacing:) I also have a problem by growing many plants too close together. It hasn't worked out well for me so now i following the directions:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't have much experience growing marigolds from seed, but generally you can start new seeds in one pot but very soon after they sprout they will have to be transplanted so they all have space to grow. A problem you may encounter is that the little seedlings may be hard to separate in the transplanting process and you might loose some of them. That's why the seed packets will usually tell people how much space to leave between seeds, and then again, how much space to leave when transplanting seedlings in the place where you want them to grow into adult plants. If you have too many seeds too close together you will probably have to transplant them very soon after they sprout, for example you will probably have to transplant them with only the primary leaves plus the first true leaves and many may not survive such an early transplant or the delicate operation required. Of course it depends on the size of the pot they are seeded in. You will get a nice bushy clump of marigolds, not by growing them too close together, but by following the instructions on the seed packets regarding spacing:) I also have a problem by growing many plants too close together. It hasn't worked out well for me so now i following the directions:rolleyes:
Yea thank you, the internet says you should space them about 2-3 feet apart. I'll separate them when they get about 2 inches tall. Hopefully I find some makeshift containers to grow them in until summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have never spaced our flower seeds out. We had a large package of seed mix from Costco that had about 10 different varieties of flowers PLUS a substrate. Just toss on the ground and water! I would say there were 2-5 seeds per sq. inch, and we had a massive towering bush of flowers, all very healthy and happy.

We also have California Poppies that grow like weeds once established. Even cutting them down will not get rid of them! They nearly took over a part of the garden when left untamed. So I have never spaced out flower seeds and always had a lot of luck and happy flowers! :)

Ask a Question