Can this money tree be saved?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I inherited this money tree from a coworker, it was not doing well at the time but thought it would improve once I got it home. I have tried a lot of different combinations (ie more water/less light, less light/ more water etc.) but no luck.

The only other plants I've owned are pothos and spider plants.

Does it look like this money tree can be saved? And if so, please tell me how.

Attachments

• 20230212_183311.jpg
    20230212_183311.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The key to their happiness is plenty of light, even direct sun for an hour or two, and plenty of water. Their botanical name is Pachira aquatica, if that gives you an idea how to water.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My reaction to your picture is that the plant shown is very likely root bound. If so, I would transplant it immediately into a somewhat larger pot with fresh soil.

To check just lift it up gently out of its pot and see what the roots look like.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's difficult to tell from just a photo, but there are a few things you can check and adjust to see if you can revive your money tree.

1. Light: Money trees prefer bright, indirect light. If the plant is not getting enough light, it may start to drop its leaves. Try moving the plant to a brighter location, but avoid direct sunlight.

2. Water: Overwatering can lead to root rot and cause the leaves to yellow and drop. Make sure the soil is allowed to dry out between waterings. When you do water, give the plant a thorough watering and allow any excess water to drain away.

3. Soil: Money trees prefer well-draining soil. Check the soil to make sure it's not too heavy and compacted. If it is, you may need to repot the plant in a well-draining potting mix.

4. Humidity: Money trees prefer humid environments, so misting the leaves with water can help.

5. Fertilizer: Money trees benefit from regular fertilization during the growing season. You can use a balanced, water-soluble fertilizer once a month.

With some adjustments to the light, water, soil, humidity, and fertilizer, your money tree may start to recover. However, if the plant is severely damaged or the roots are rotted, it may not be able to be saved.

For more info check this resource
Facebook Page:
Youtube Channel Link:

Ask a Question