Can sweet alyssum grow along a north facing picket fence

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of planting sweet alyssum along the edge of my garden against a picket fence, the fence is built along the south facing side but I would be planting them on the inside so they would be north facing, but there is some sunlight coming through the spaces in the fence so could that be enough for it to flower well? Here's a pic of the fence

Or if not then is there anything else which is flowers all summer and is preferably fragrant which would grow well there

Attachments

• IMG_20190310_133546.jpg
    IMG_20190310_133546.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 159
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya @Panda , alyssum is very tough, and as long as some sunshine filters through I reckon it will be fine. If you planted some other low growing perennials along that patch, like a variety of sedums, snow in summer ( cerastium tomentosum), aubretia, and similar - you would easily have something happening all summer.

If that was my garden though, I would make a wide border and fill it up with all sorts of stuff :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya @Panda , alyssum is very tough, and as long as some sunshine filters through I reckon it will be fine. If you planted some other low growing perennials along that patch, like a variety of sedums, snow in summer ( cerastium tomentosum), aubretia, and similar - you would easily have something happening all summer.

If that was my garden though, I would make a wide border and fill it up with all sorts of stuff :)

Great thanks I'll give them a try then, I'm hoping to have a border around it eventually with some of these - nicotiana, stock, marigolds, snapdragon, dahlias, lobelia, and coriander in between to attract ladybirds, and also roses and sweet peas in the backyard against a trellis :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe consider a few small shrubs and perennial plants too to give the whole thing some structure, like this............

Ask a Question