Can someone identify this tree for me.

Reaction score
This tree was on our property when we bought it. Actually we have a total of five. It's starting to bllom and the flowers appear a lacy light purple in color. the pictures don't do the flower Justice but hopefully are good enough so someone might be able to tell me what it is. Someone in the area said they thought it might be a Catalpa tree. It's not, we have three of those as well and they are quite different than this three. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 7-7-2012 022.JPG
    7-7-2012 022.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 498
  • 7-7-2012 017.JPG
    7-7-2012 017.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 490
  • 7-7-2012 020.JPG
    7-7-2012 020.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 499
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is a pretty tree.does it have a scent to the flowers .

Reaction score
It's not a catalpa tree at all. I have two different types of those in the yard and although they are quite similar they are very different as well. No noticanle scent unless you right next to the flowers. then a kind of stinky sweet smell, like black licorice candy, sortof. lol I was told it was from china or japan, I have no clue if that is true or not. Empress tree might be it but I'm not sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
well I think you have a gem there and it may be something special for sure

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I am thinking that might be an umbrella magnolia, the flowers seem consistent but the size seems big, it does look like the tree is a couple of years old. I am not certain where you are geographically or when you are seeing the flowers, if it is just in the spring or early summer it might very well be a magnolia, this breed has flowers that are not as nice as the magnolias we normally think of. I have had one for years and I am in New York, it is wonderful when it flowers, they remind me of orchids but very fragile and short lived. after that just leaves and like a very small brownish bud where flower was. I would say it is a mid sizes tree.

Now if it flowers in the summer till fall, (consistent flowers right up the stalk) I am going to say that's a young Bean tree which is a catalpa, now I know you said it isn't because you have some already but I wanted to tell you, I have a big one and when you let the beans grow they really do look like this for quite a few years, they do not bean out for at least 3-4 years or more. Not trying to argue just wanted to share that because I get them cropping up randomly.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
This tree was on our property when we bought it. Actually we have a total of five. It's starting to bllom and the flowers appear a lacy light purple in color. the pictures don't do the flower Justice but hopefully are good enough so someone might be able to tell me what it is. Someone in the area said they thought it might be a Catalpa tree. It's not, we have three of those as well and they are quite different than this three. thanks in advance.

I know that bloom from somewhere but I do not know the name of the plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have no idea, but it is pretty. I don't know where you live, but you might see if there is a county extension office where you are. They will come out and tell you what it is, and also give you all kinds of great advice on what grows in your area, how to make the most of what you've got and even suggestions as to what to do with your property. They are a wealth of information. And it's free!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's a princess tree, Paulownia tomentosa. It's a non-native invasive species and grows pretty quickly. It's supposedly quite valuable to certain Asian markets because of the density of it's wood - apparently it is extremely light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulownia_tomentosa

Sorry if I'm really late to the party - you've probably ID'ed it already, but I thought I'd share for anyone else who might check out this thread. ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
That's a princess tree, Paulownia tomentosa. It's a non-native invasive species and grows pretty quickly. It's supposedly quite valuable to certain Asian markets because of the density of it's wood - apparently it is extremely light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulownia_tomentosa

Sorry if I'm really late to the party - you've probably ID'ed it already, but I thought I'd share for anyone else who might check out this thread. ;)

Just caught up with this thread, too, Arielphf. I planted one in my garden I think about 12 years ago for it's fast growing quality.
I was told it was called a Japanese Powton Tree but it does go under a few different names and slightly different spellings...Powtin Sapphire Dragon, Paulownia or Powlonia, Paulownis Tomentosa, Princess Tree. I think I like Princess best.
It did grow very quickly, so much so that I actually called it my Jack and the Beanstalk Tree. It had massive leaves which I took at one stage for my young art students to paint on.
These heart shaped leaves are now a "sensible" size and in Spring when the mauve tubular flowers are out it is very impressive. The branches are very light and we have lost quite a few over the past few years due to wind resulting in large gaps in its canopy so not quite as impressive as it was when it had its full canopy. Nonetheless a lovely tree. My next door neighbour bought one about 4 years ago because she was so impressed with mine. Hers is already about 7-8 metres tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just caught up with this thread, too, Arielphf. I planted one in my garden I think about 12 years ago for it's fast growing quality.
I was told it was called a Japanese Powton Tree ...

That's a pseudonym I hadn't heard, but yes, that is the tree. We have several at our office, and while they are considered invasive, they aren't as bad as some of the other unwelcome visitors we've been entertaining lately in my region of the US (I'm thinking emerald ash borer and mile a minute weed). They don't cause too much ecological damage and are very pretty to look at while they are in bloom. I'd plant one too. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our neighbor has that kind of tree. However, they do not know the name of the tree either because I already had asked them when it started to display some blossoms. But they said that it's an ornamental tree that is good to shield their house from the afternoon sun. I hope someone could identify that so we will all have an added knowledge.

Ask a Question