Can plants be sterile?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I sowed some cosmos "seashell" seeds earlier this year and chose the best 5 to plant up in the garden, spacing them accordingly in the same bed. Aside from the fact one of them turned out to be Cosmos "Purity" and one being eaten by slugs three grew well. But ... of those three, only two have flowered. The other one has grown beautifully. It is bushy, healthy and lots of green stems and leaves but not one single flower bud. Nothing.
So, is this a "sterile" plant?
Or, has something else caused it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes some plants are sterile, and can only be propagated from cuttings, but I am not sure about cosmos - I`ve never grown it. Sounds like yours might need a good talking to!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just be patient, when it decides to flower it will be huge and you’ll be stunned at the color. I’ve grown some that took their own sweet time to do any blooming and WOW! the wait was worth it. Flowers all over the place on a huge plant. You could try using some bloom booster kind of fertilizer if you want to coax it along. Just follow the directions.

Ask a Question