Can it be saved?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two shrubs that were planted at the front door when we first bought the house. It has been about 11 years, and just now we are seeing an issue. The one on the left is doing just fine, whereas the one on the right is barely hanging on. They don't get watered, other than when it rains. Also, the shrub on the right gets more water due to the drainage coming down just behind it.

I'm not exactly sure what type of shrubs they are, but from searching online they appear to be a Gulfstream Nandina. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong on that.

Is there a way to still save the shrub on the right? Or will I have to dig this one up and plant a new one in its place?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

left-1.jpg right-1.jpg right-2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
If you cut it back to about 1ft above ground and give it a good watering you may save it, it's worth a try, we often do this, sometimes it works and sometimes not. Can't say what shrub this is, sorry!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think it could be Nandina

Nandina-domestica-2.jpg

I think turning red is what they do. So they might look worse than they are, presuming they are Nandina.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice everyone. Any chance that section will regrow after removing the dead canes?

Ask a Question