Can I stratify seeds in their original package?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Growing native milkweed from seed.

the package says to stratify them. But doesn’t give directions on how. Do I just place the packets of seeds in the fridge?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No. The seeds must have moisture and the seed package is way to dry. You can do it in a number of ways. Some folks use the paper towel plastic bag method, others use a moist planting medium, some use sand and some folks freeze the seeds in an ice tray. There are a bunch of different ways. Just google how to stratify seeds and I am sure you will find an easy method for you. They way I did it was by placing the seed on top of potting soil which was in a potting tray and sticking the whole thing into the fridge for a length of time and then I would take out the tray and sprinkle more potting soil on top to cover the seeds and let the seeds germinate. The object of stratification is to mimic winter. Some seeds take longer and I don't know the length of time to stratify milkweed but I would imagine at least a month. Good luck

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The object of Seed stratification is to break the natural dormancy of the plant to aid in germination. It is extremely critical to know what seeds require to break that dormancy before beginning any seed stratification. Otherwise you may do more harm than good. Some seeds require warm treatment, while others require a cold treatment . Other seeds require a combination of both warm and cold treatments followed by a warm treatment.

In the case of native milkweed, they require the cold treatment which lasts generally a minimum of one month. I like the coffee filters for cold treatments, soak them in water, lay 5-8 seeds in each filter, secure by folding the filter over them, put in individual plastic sandwich bags, label , and put in container in the fridge for minimum of 1 month. ,

Ask a Question