Can I plant anything now and still have a good result?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,

My wife and I have been gardening for about 5 years now, and this year with our new baby and other family issues we weren't able to plant a garden. We live in northeast Ohio and have a really nice established space we use as our garden, so it's hard looking at that empty space. Things have settled down, so I'm wondering if anyone would have suggestions on what we could plant and still have decent success. It's Ohio weather, so the first frost should come in late October. I'm afraid it's too late, but thought I'd ask some more experienced gardeners.

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi All,

My wife and I have been gardening for about 5 years now, and this year with our new baby and other family issues we weren't able to plant a garden. We live in northeast Ohio and have a really nice established space we use as our garden, so it's hard looking at that empty space. Things have settled down, so I'm wondering if anyone would have suggestions on what we could plant and still have decent success. It's Ohio weather, so the first frost should come in late October. I'm afraid it's too late, but thought I'd ask some more experienced gardeners.

Thanks for any help!
So about 90 days till frost. You can probably be successful with bush beans and blackeyed peas, maybe chard. When it cools off a little early lettuce will work until a hard freeze. Still time for a fair crop of squash too and also radishes when it starts to cool

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Chuck! Thanks for the ideas. We love squash and have had good success that it in the past. I've never grown beans, peas, chard or radishes, but we love to eat all of those things. I like these ideas. I will go pick up the seeds and get them in this week.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

You could get a crop of potatoes by planting a first early variety, won't be huge but better than nothing. I'm guessing Ohio winters would be too cold for overwintering crops like Mizuna and Purple Sprouting Broccoli?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forums :) I'm guessing Ohio winters would be too cold for overwintering crops like Mizuna and Purple Sprouting Broccoli?

Thank you! Yes, it gets really cold here, single digits in the winter. We've grown potatoes in the past too, I'll add plant some. It will be nice to at least have something to tend to out there.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I usually plant Charlotte potatoes in August to have some new potatoes for Christmas Dinner, they keep in the ground even after the tops have long gone, worth a go.

Oh, try some American Cress too, that grows well over winter :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you buy established starter plants many traditional garden veggies will be harvestable by frost, check the "harvest in xx days" label. ;) Greens grow super fast and many survive several early frosts before actually freezing.

Ask a Question