Can I grow dill from a cutting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Mum brought store bought dill with the roots cut off. Can I root them in water then plant it, or will it need the roots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mum brought store bought dill with the roots cut off. Can I root them in water then plant it, or will it need the roots?
Just stick them in water. In two or three weeks they should be ready to put in soil. Don't fertilize

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
How many springs will I need? Will the dill grow like side shoots off of one, or does each spring equal one dill piece? Never grew dill before and have no clue how it grows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thank you. Just put out about 15 sprigs in water. How close do I plant them to each other?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you. Just put out about 15 sprigs in water. How close do I plant them to each other?
I should explain how. If the plants were ever refrigerated they probably won't root. Cut the tops where the new growth is about 3" long and remove the bottom leaves and stick it into water. Only put 3 or 4 of these stems into a container of water so as to not have a bunch of roots all intertwined when they root.

Ask a Question