Can I bury marigold stems?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey y'all! It's a beautiful spring day in Alabama and I want to transplant my young marigold plants! They're "Jaguar" and "Jolly Jester" varieties.

Since I started them from seed, they've gotten pretty tall (6"-10"). I'm very new to gardening and they did get pretty leggy at first. Now it seems like their base stems are a bit stretched and skinny.

What I want to know is, can I bury the bottom of the stems? Will they grow roots there, or will the stems just rot?
20210428_090653.jpg
20210428_090635.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They look like nice strong plants. Best to plant them out in the garden at the same level as they are in the pots. Water well, and let them get on with it.
Don`t bury the stems!
Welcome to the forums.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would tend to agree with the above, but I would be tempted to keep the one with the longest stem separate and bury it as an experiment. I tend to do this whenever I don't know 'Should I do it like this or like this', if I have enough, such as when planting seeds, I will often do half and half and keep the more successful half. The caveat is that you are dealing with living things, so what is right one time may not always be right. 'One time learning' can be deceptive.

Ask a Question