Can anyone recommend good compost

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Just cant find wonderful compost .

Levingtons I am using just now and it keeps drying out.

Had the same problem with westland.

Jed

Reaction score
That one your using seems quite cheap for the amount you get 2 for 10 pound and does claim 25% more water retention and has been given a 4.5 star rating from 64 users. Perhaps you can cover it on your garden with grass clippings to retain some more moisture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We've used John Innis compost most recently which has always been pretty good, might be worth a try.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Becky .Was there any fibre in the compost ?

Randy I dont want any farm manure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
One of the best things I have ever used was llama manure. It was easy to work with, doesn't smell much, and did a great job of helping everything grow. Unfortunately, most of us don't have a llama, including me, nowadays.
My next favorite, was when I had a little rabbit, and I mixed the rabbit manure with water, and then dipped it by small bucket fulls, and poured it on the root area of my plants.

However, a much easier way to achieve almost the same results, is to simply use alfalfa pellets. They are clean, dry, easy to use, and don't smell at all, but they are a great fertilizer. You can put them in the ground and till them in, or simply plant over them, or you can put them in a tub of water, and let them soak a few days, and then dip the liquid out and pour it on the roots of your plants.

dim

Reaction score
google for your nearest hydroponic store .... they sell 'proper' compost

I buy all my compost from my local hydroponic store:

http://www.camgrow.co.uk/new-category/

and I find 'Bat Mix ' very good:
http://www.1st-hydroponics.co.uk/plagron-bat-mix/prod_3404.html
snip:
Complete Soil Mix Plagron Bat Mix is a mix of the finest, carefully selected types of peat. It contains various types of fibre and perlite which results in a lightness and oxygen level you have come to expect only of Plagron quality potting soil. The abundant presence of unique Plagron worm compost ensures vigorous plant growth and increased water retention. The main nutrient in Plagron Bat Mix is bat manure Bat Guano. Bat manure is naturally rich in phosphorus and potassium, guaranteeing abundant growth. Plagron Bat Mix contains sufficient nutrients to meet all the needs of the plant throughout the complete cycle. Only under closely controlled conditions can Bat Guano be processed into the top quality Plagron product.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and it's also wothwhile buying a bag or two of Plagron worm humus (vermicompost) .... costs £8 for a 10kg bag, and you only use a handfull or two around shrubs or add a bit to your compost before adding to pots.... very rich stuff and well worth the price

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Dim I went to our local GC and bought Westland Jack Magic its fantastic.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
If you could learn some easier methods of making own compost that does not stink to high heavens is a good idea. The best compost is all about developing your own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So is a sign of good compost one that retains lots of moisture? Are small amounts of compost an option or would you not use it on something small, like a planter box? When I start my little gardening project I'd like to give it the best possible chance to thrive so any tips are appreciated.

Ask a Question