Can anyone identify this weed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is anyone able to identify this weed please? It's sprung up out of nowhere in a week and there are a lot that come up to around waist height. Want to make sure I remove them in the correct way without potentially spreading them all round the garden as they've grown so quickly

Attachments

• 20210602_205058.jpg
    20210602_205058.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 57

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Could be Rosebay Willowherb.

Also known as Fireweed, it colonised bomb sites during the blitz.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could be Rosebay Willowherb.

Also known as Fireweed, it colonised bomb sites during the blitz.
That seems correct, looks like there's some digging for me to do in the morning before they flower!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 80943 Lovely in a wild garden :)
They are pretty but unfortunately my garden isn't big enough to let them grow wild. Shame as I was letting that side of the garden run a little wild as the bees and butterflies like it and our friendly garden hedgehog has made himself a little home in there ☹

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It'll spread by rhizomes if you let it run, you're right to not want it in a small garden. Some non invasive stuff would be better. Long grass can be very effective for wildlife cover, loads of hedgehog poo around our wildflower meadow and it hasn't even got established yet :)

DSC05289.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It'll spread by rhizomes if you let it run, you're right to not want it in a small garden. Some non invasive stuff would be better. Long grass can be very effective for wildlife cover, loads of hedgehog poo around our wildflower meadow and it hasn't even got established yet :)

View attachment 80944
We've been waiting a few years to cut the wild side back but every year our hedgehog friend (or the offspring now) wanders out of there and we're fairly sure they're hibernating in the undergrowth and don't want to disturb them. 7 years they've been there now so pretty sure they have squatters rights in my garden!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They like having it their own way, one of ours didn't like the new fence I put in :D

DSC05017.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They like having it their own way, one of ours didn't like the new fence I put in :D

View attachment 80945
We've actually just been discussing what to do about fencing as we need a new one putting up but don't want to trap Spike in the garden. May just leave him a gap somewhere purposefully so he doesn't knock down the whole fence!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We've actually just been discussing what to do about fencing as we need a new one putting up but don't want to trap Spike in the garden. May just leave him a gap somewhere purposefully so he doesn't knock down the whole fence!

Good idea, they can climb but have built in bolt croppers and prefer to go straight through. We had one kipping in the porch a while back.

DSCF1508.JPG

Ask a Question