Can anyone identify this plant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if anyone can suggest what these plants are. I am in the UK. The stems have soft white hairs. I planted some plum seeds and apple pips in a pot and this is what has sprouted. The potting mixture is 25% garden soil, 50% cheap compost and 25% sand for drainage. It is possible that they came from seeds in the soil though I have not seen any of these growing in my garden. I must admit I have a thing for planting fruit pips and seeds, it cheap to do and enjoyable to see what grows. My results over the last 20 years are thus. Apple loads grown but no real likelihood of producing apples (certainly not in anything like a reasonable timescale), Pear works every time! lots of large fruit from 5 years onward but trees gets seriously big. Plum works, just a few for the first time this year, trees are about 3 or 4 years old. Plums are different from the original fruit but if anything better tasting. Apricot worked for one year only, 1/2 a dozen nice fruit nothing otherwise for years but really nice tree not too big for a somewhat small garden. Naspoli from Malta lovely tree with very long leaves, no chance of fruit in the UK as it is too cold, suffers from frost in severe winter. All of these except the Naspoli are just seeds from supermarket bought fruit. I would say have a go at this as it is very cheap to do, not much time or effort except for planting the seeds and re potting when necessary. I have even gone a bit Eco warrior by planting some on building sites where lots of trees had been destroyed to make room for yet more houses. Not much fun though to plant them and then later on see they have been flattened by a crawler excavator as has happened to some. I wonder if anyone has had some success with supermarket fruit seeds. I have also had good luck with Garden centre fruit trees, I buy them when they are being sold off cheap in the Autumn (Fall)/winter. Often they have lost there labels but I know they are fruit trees and its good fun to see what kind of fruit develops.

Attachments

• IMG_0170.JPG
    IMG_0170.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

These are Tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum, formerly Lycopersicon eculentum) in the Nightshade family (Solanceae). Originally native to Peru, the Tomato is now bred and cultivated worldwide for it sweet yet savory fruit.

Last edited:

Ask a Question