Can anyone help idetnify this plant please?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20200304_003403.jpg
lo
rps20200304_003437.jpg
i
In the centre of the 1st image you can see a cylindrical bloom of berries which change from green to red and deep red almost black. The plant is just over a metre high. I don't remember what it is but I have planted it in a shady area, if that is relevant .
Recently I have started to write what I plant in a very makeshift map of my garden I've sketched in a note book, actually an old excercise book which must have belonged to one of my my kids.....and the youngest turns 40 this year. However sometimes I move the plants or they die and don't get around to updating my notes.....so I guess it is just a bit of a guide, not all that reliable.
Hope some one out can help me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Deborah:

This is a species of pokeweed (Phytolacca sp.). There are many species of pokeweed, but you images do bear a resemblance to Phytolacca octandra, which is a widespread weed in Australia, though native to the neotropics.

Ask a Question