camellias place ..i put in internal yard..

Reaction score
Country
Malta
hello and thanks for accepting me in this forum..i have a small internal yard with plants like piece lily begonias etc ..is this a good place for camellias?? i have red cammelia japonica and nuccio pearly japonica photo attached..already camellia red is blooming flowers around 8 opened now....the nuccios pearl still closed blooms..ant help and advice pls since no sun and few light come in this yard??..wait your responce

Attachments

• camellias internal yard.jpg
    camellias internal yard.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 64

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @brian agius i have a camellia but mines out side as they can grow to a good size in time..do you have any soil ground to put them in as the picture is quite small sorry.
My camellia starts budding in september and gets covered up with fleece from november until march and then it soon starts flowering as frost does get at these plants as you can see.
20180314_120200.jpg camellia.jpg IMG_20191012_154859_3.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Hello @brian agius i have a camellia but mines out side as they can grow to a good size in time..do you have any soil ground to put them in as the picture is quite small sorry.
My camellia starts budding in september and gets covered up with fleece from november until march and then it soon starts flowering as frost does get at these plants as you can see.
View attachment 76882 View attachment 76883 View attachment 76884
no they are in pots but in appropiate acidific soil for them from garden centre..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome

As has been said they can grow quite tall.

You have to show them "who's boss."

We had three in a centre bed in the middle of our garden.

P5220045.JPG

But they grew huge and the blossoms made a lot of mess. So they had to go.

I reduced the size of the bed and now we have something more manageable.

P1040071.JPG

I binned two and cut the third down to a couple of feet and relegated it to the side border behind this lamp, it gets pruned every year, otherwise it'd grow as tall as it was before. So we get fewer blooms, but we like it for its varigated shiny deep green foliage.
As I do for our azaleas and rhodos I try to keep the soil slightly acid.

P1040099.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Malta
thanks for your info...as i showed you i dont have that space and gongrats for your beutiful garden!! i have only that small internal yard as my paradice..i adore camillias that i found out this las weeks ..the only problem is my place is shaded practically no sun.. :cautious: :cautious:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for your info...as i showed you i dont have that space and gongrats for your beutiful garden!! i have only that small internal yard as my paradice..i adore camillias that i found out this las weeks ..the only problem is my place is shaded practically no sun.. :cautious: :cautious:

Keeping it in a pot will reduce its growth, just be prepared to give it a prune immediately after it has flowered, if you don't want it to grow too big.

Ask a Question