California Drought

Reaction score
I am down here in Southern California, and it is a mess. The crops are ruined, the animals are starving. My landlord and neighbor is a farmer and cattle rancher, so it really hits home. He had to move his cattle from Central California down here because they were starving and too skinny to sell. It is so sad for people who make a lively hood on farming and ranching.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Northern California's winter season is about 60-90 days of rain, real hard rain then it stops and you may not see any more rain for months. By July the ground is so dry it does look like the picture in the report. It is amazing to experience that if you have lived in an area where it rained off and on through out the season.

When I first moved to California and experienced a winter of rain I thought I would rust. During the summer it got so hot and dry we had a bush fire in the near by yard next to the winery we lived next to.

It is sad to see such a beautiful area dry up and people suffering not able to make their living off the land. Water all around and none to be used to help the plants and animals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Gosh that sounds awful! :( I really hope you get the rain you need soon!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nightmare, you've got none & we've got too much :(

Reaction score
I wish there was some way to create a pipeline to take the water from the flooded states to the ones who are parched! Normally we have a drought here in NC during the summer months but last year we had plenty of flooding. Would be nice to be able to share!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed, they could happily have our water.

Same with power, it would be a brilliant move to install loads of solar panels in the desert areas for use in the northern lands. The panels would get condensation at night and the shade under them would provide a micro climate so eventually food could be grown under and near them.

There are problems with power loss over long distances though.

Ask a Question