Calicarpia Shrub

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
one of my favorite shrubs. While it is not a 4 season shrub, but more like a 2 season shrub the berries are pleasing to the birds.
IMG_1345.JPG
IMG_1340.JPG
IMG_1318.JPG
IMG_1316.JPG
IMG_1314.JPG
IMG_1311.JPG
IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1297.JPG
IMG_1295.JPG
IMG_1290.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG
IMG_1287.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1341.JPG
    IMG_1341.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 267
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Esther, those are stunning photos! Calicarpia is also known as American Beauty Berry, and birds do love the berries. It is also really easy to start from cuttings, and we have placed several around the fence row in our pasture.
Did you "birdnap" our bluebirds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Have three other Calicarpia shrubs which I started from this one, which was the first. they are located in the valley gardens, and one in the front. Missed the shot of a male cardinal among the berries. and he never came back. I love seeing the shrub in the winter will purple berries and the white snow on it. But this year is the first time I have seen so many birds attacking the shrub. There were as many as 10 bluebirds on the shrub at one time, and also some chickadees. So maybe come snow, there will be no berries. This shrub is outside our bedroom window.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Spotted this wonderful blue berry bush for the very 1st time while visiting Roscoe Village in central Ohio a couple of weeks ago. Didn't know its identification and decided to nip a branch with those stunning blue berries. Found the name and searched local nurseries to purchase one, but no luck during this late season. Decided to try to do some "starts" in the backyard greenhouse. We'll see if they root, but I'm skeptical being so late in the growing season.

If unsuccessful, I'll certainly be in the hunt to get a plant this next Spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@NE Ohio John ,, I did start two babies from the mother. by clipping off a good thick stem, angle cutting it. got a pot with soil, finger hole in the middle. then a dip in hormone powder with the stem and gently put in the hole and pressed down. set the pots over in a secure area. it did take well. However, we also now have an extra near one on my slope area that started on its own, need to relocate it. I have had the first one going on 15 years, gave it a harsh pruning to shape it up some, not shorten just to make it "look" better. Husband thought I was nuts. but the next year it was even more perky. it tends to like some direct sun, and will move toward it. I have seen them in total direct sun as landscape features in open areas. Mine have some shade to deal with, so they tend to lean more rather than nicely balance out. Later in the fall the leaves turn an interesting yellow, which is pretty with the purple. then the leaves drop and only the berries remain. When snow is fallen on those branches the white snow and the purple berries peaking through is beautiful. In the spring the wee tiny white flowers along the branches are very insignificant, I think I picked up a faint smell this year.

Ask a Question