Calanchoe question

Reaction score
It's dying, what can be done?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 493
Reaction score
Woah... mind giving us more details? I had several kalanchoes, and I had never seen one as damaged as this one :eek: The picture isn't very clear either :( How did this start? In my experience most kalanchoes started dying if I didn't get rid of the aphids fast. Is this what happened? Did you water it too much?

I guess you could cut the healthy looking stems, and try to plant them in the soil. I usually cut mine, then I leave them ''rest'' until the next day. It works all the time when I want to propagate my kalanchoes. Sadly once the steam dries out that's it for the plant :( Nothing can be done when the mother plant is completely rotten. Unless you can find a healthy looking stem.

Reaction score
You maybe overwatering it. They are succulents so don't need as much water as other house plants. If you have any viable parts left cut them off and root them. When they are potable use clay not plastic pot and lighten up on the water.

Reaction score
We'll, I could not tell what had damaged the plant. Probably it was a mistake to water it when the top soil felt dry to the touch. Well. It is unpotted now and the soil was quite wet especially closer to the bottom of the pot.
But the good thing is that the roots of the plant are still strong and maybe it has a chance. I wish there would be a calanchoe hospital... All I have here is my. Love and maybe some dry potting soil.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 426
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 506
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 427
Reaction score
Aw... it seems the whole stem and mother plant is completely gone :( Uhm, I guess the best you can do is to really hope for the best! I have never seen a kalanchoe with so much damage, but maybe if you bury the roots... there is a chance a new little plant shows up. Try to water the plant less, also try putting some little rocks in the bottom of the new pot, so you make sure the plant will have a great drainage.

In my experience kalanchoes really like it when you wait until the soil is really dry... I always watered mine when the soil was really dry, and sometimes I could feel how ''tender'' the leaves of the kalanchoe plant felt to the touch. That was a clear sign they needed some water. After that they looked as happy as ever :)

Best of luck with your kalanchoe! Keep us posted!

Reaction score
Kalanchoe's, at least mine, prefer clay pots. Plastic pots are tricky in that the top soil will be dry but further down will still be wet. To check soil in a clay pot either stick your finger in at least an inch or slide a table knife into the pot at least an inch and see if it comes up with wet soil.

Reaction score
Uhm, thanks for the tip! I used clay pots a lot back in the day, I always thought those clay pots were tricky. I always waited for the leaves of the plant to feel tender to the touch, that never fails ;)

Ask a Question