Cactus Turning Yellow

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have an indoor cactus which has started getting yellow. There is also some white spots on it. I have not watered it in a few weeks thinking it was overwatered but it just seems to be getting worse. It started brown before I went out of town last week.

It is in our living room which gets light all day but no direct light. I put it outside just now and gave it some water finally and to give it some direct light for the day.

Any suggestions?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have an indoor cactus which has started getting yellow. There is also some white spots on it. I have not watered it in a few weeks thinking it was overwatered but it just seems to be getting worse. It started brown before I went out of town last week.

It is in our living room which gets light all day but no direct light. I put it outside just now and gave it some water finally and to give it some direct light for the day.

Any suggestions?
View attachment 22066 View attachment 22067 View attachment 22068
It is not a watering issue. You have scale insects. Some folks use vinegar, some use alcohol, but I find Neem Oil works best.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Chuck! I have ordered some Neem Oil and will spay it this weekend once it arrives.

Would it be bennifical to leave it outside for a week to just get some actual sun and dry out a bit, rather than keeping it inside always?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you Chuck! I have ordered some Neem Oil and will spay it this weekend once it arrives.

Would it be bennifical to leave it outside for a week to just get some actual sun and dry out a bit, rather than keeping it inside always?
I wouldn't take it from indoors to direct sun. Take it outside where it will get morning sun and partial shade in the afternoon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So that top piece had got worse, then finally fell off the other night. I have been using the neem oil the last two weeks (once per week as directed) but I still see the bugs and the white stuff (eggs?) isn't going away. Maybe it's spreading, hard to tell.

Should I use the neem oil on a rag and sort of rub those spots off? Or is it best to just spray on and let the plant fend for itself?

Ask a Question