Cabbage worm damage

DHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Hello fellow gardeners,

I found some damage to my broccoli plants, and discovered that cabbage worms were the culprit. I think I've gotten them all, but will continue to watch and pick them off if they come back. (I tried garlic and hot-pepper solutions, and it didn't faze the little suckers) Anybody know if the plants can recover from the level of damage shown in the pic below, assuming I can keep the infestation under control from now on? It's not the best picture, but I think it's just good enough to show the extent of the damage, more or less.

20160708_100003.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It will probably still produce but you are wasting your time trying to handpick them. More and more will hatch out. Spray with either spinosad or Bt, both are organic and harmless to people and pets.

DHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Thanks, I might just try that. Just learned about BT yesterday. Spinosad is a new one. I did notice some parasitic wasps flying around the broc lately though, presumably going after the cabbage worms, so between them and my picking them off, maybe that will be enough. Would really suck if I got some nice florets only to get halfway through one to find a little green worm, though!

Ask a Question