Buying a house for it's trees

Reaction score
I bought my first house a few months ago and one of the main reasons why I chose it was because of it's trees. I have always loved nature, trees, and gardening so this house excited me. There is a beautiful large tree in the front yard which looks great. There is also a large pecan tree in the backyard along with an orange, lemon, apple, and fig tree. I also love the garden in the backyard of this house.

Has anyone else bought a house because they loved the trees so much?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I still live with my parents, so no, I've never bought any houses. But I really, really love trees, I love them with all my heart, so I understand how you feel:) I know that I wouldn't be happy if I wasn't surrounded with big, old and beautiful trees. A garden without them seems empty.

Reaction score
Wow, so you bought a house full of a lot fruit trees! I guess the free fruit will come in handy for you and your family! You could maker a great lemonetto with those lemons (I'd not do it with the ones you but at the market), because you know where they come from ;) To be honest I'd never buy a house because its trees, there are other factors I'd need to take into account first.

Reaction score
I would never even consider buying house for its garden alone, as I think its much easier to make or change a garden than it is a house.
In fact my choice when choosing a house, is one that doesn't have a garden at all or one that can be easily changed, but that is only because, I love designing my own gardens and get a great deal of pleasure from choosing the plants, planning where they should go, together with then planting them up and watching it grow and blossom, into something that becomes a really pleasurable place to be :)
However, I do have to be thankful that there are people around, who will buy a house not just for house itself but also for its garden, otherwise I may not have been so lucky each time I sold my house.

Reaction score
I found a little place back in my 20's that I wanted to buy so badly. It was a small 2 bedroom mobile home with 3 acres of land. The land was covered with grape vines, fruit trees and blackberry/raspberry canes. I so badly wanted this house but I could not purchase it because I had 3 kiddos and 2 bedrooms would not have been enough. The place did not stay on the market for very long. Someone else saw what a gem it was and snapped it up. I can understand why you wanted your home!

Reaction score
I planted every tree, shrub, flower, fruit, and veggie. The person that bough my house was because of all the varieties that I had. I had oranges, key limes, lemons, for the fruit.
I had 7 types of Roses, Oleanders, Crepe Myrtles, Alamanda's, Purple Trumpets, 3 oak trees, Jasmine, Gardenias, Croutons, and many others. For veggies, I only had pumpkins at the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Charahome, it sounds wonderful! It doesn't surprise me that you found a buyer. I'm sure your garden looks gorgeous! I would love to grow 7 types of roses:D
If I ever look for a house, I'll choose the one surounded with trees and roses.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I lived in California, I had nine rose bushes in my yard, several fruit trees including peaches and plums. I really loved that yard. I have not had a yard since that made me so happy to go out side and get dirty.

When I look at a house I always envision what the yard will look like, I am more interested in the outside of the house than the inside because I spend more time outside than inside.

Reaction score
Charahome, it sounds wonderful! It doesn't surprise me that you found a buyer. I'm sure your garden looks gorgeous! I would love to grow 7 types of roses:D
If I ever look for a house, I'll choose the one surounded with trees and roses.

It is a beauty to admire. Several years, all seven flowers bloomed at the same time. The magnificent view provided for some extra enjoyment. The scent they produced was unreal.

I will be moving into a new house next year. I am at an apartment at this time. I am already planning where I am planting the new roses, and what variety I am going to pick. I do know there will be a yellow variety, a blue moon, and a velvet red. I have not decided what the other 4 will be. However, there is an ok tree, so I will be purchasing a climbing rose, maybe in white.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is such a great idea! I love climbing roses, they always look the most beautiful, especially if they produce white flowers:) I've always dreamed of a garden with plenty of trees with roses climbing of them:D
I'm sure your future garden will be as gorgeous as the previous one!:D

Reaction score
When I first moved into this house 16 years ago, it was brand new! The area was still developing so there were no trees around. Now, however, the trees are getting much bigger and the neighbourhood looks lovely. I wouldn't use trees as the main reason for me buying a house, although it would add to one of the reason I would like the exterior.

Reaction score
imgres.jpg
I found this picture. It reminded me of the climbing roses we had on our tree. I can't wait to see one grow in my garden, again. I may go with white this time. I think they will look splendid against the dark bark of an oak tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a lovely picture!
I'm sure it will look more than gorgeous!:D I've always had a soft spot for climbing roses:)
Here are two pictures that I found:

_3466.JPG

6a00e54fce55cc88340133ece0e16d970b-800wi

Reaction score
It may sound odd to buy a house for its trees. However, I can see why some people might do this. Some trees takes years and even decades to grow. If you can find a house with beautiful old oak trees, why not buy it? These trees will take forever to grow if you plant the acorn yourself.

Reaction score
I would absolutely be sold on a house for it's landscaping! I'm with you..I love nature and all it offers and trees are so serene to me.

Ask a Question