Butternut transplant timing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! This is my first post! I am a new gardener and live in zone 6 Pennsylvania. Already consistently in the 80s here. I started some mini butternut squash seeds inside last week and they have already germinated. They are about 2” tall still with only their first set of seedling leaves. They look very healthy and am wondering now how long to wait to transplant them into my raised row garden outside. Is earlier better? Or should I wait until they have their “true leaves” and more established roots? Help!

Attachments

• 64473EBF-48E1-4C2C-BD1E-F33285B88ADF.jpeg
    64473EBF-48E1-4C2C-BD1E-F33285B88ADF.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 8
  • B7F5976F-3149-4DF5-9BD0-0ACB46323CC0.jpeg
    B7F5976F-3149-4DF5-9BD0-0ACB46323CC0.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I try to wait until they have at least one true leaf but I use 2"x2" plastic cells. I have transplanted them as baby leaves before and it works fine too. They grow fast. If those are the pots you bury with the plant then go ahead and plant them. If not and you want to go ahead and plant them then be careful when you pop them out as the roots may not have a good hold on the potting soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks very much! I think I will wait until the true leaf appears. I don't know why but I am hesitant about planting them within the biodegradable cell. Thinking depending on how long it takes to disintegrate, it might stunt/inhibit the roots from growing? I have never used the biodegradable ones before....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks very much! I think I will wait until the true leaf appears. I don't know why but I am hesitant about planting them within the biodegradable cell. Thinking depending on how long it takes to disintegrate, it might stunt/inhibit the roots from growing? I have never used the biodegradable ones before....
I've never used the biodegradable pots either.

Ask a Question