Butternut Squash

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just wondered whether anyone knew what to do with Butternut Squashes as my friend has a countless supply and keep on giving me loads. So any recipes etc. will me much appreciated!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the first time I have cooked butternut squash also and did not know what to do with it. It is hard to cut, it must be peeled and the seeds need to be discarded.

It was suggested to slice the vegetable in half scoop out the seeds and place it in a dish with water and steam for a few seconds to soften the vegetable up so that it can be peeled easier. After I peeled the squash, I sauteed it with onions and olive oil and ate it with some rice and beans. It was pretty good.

You may also be able to use in soup. I have one more and that is what I plan to do with it, some veggie soup.

Reaction score
You can chop up the squash into chunks and freeze it for a later use. You could donate it to a food pantry or a homeless shelter, they really appreciate getting fresh veggies.

Reaction score
I make "pumpkin" pie with mine. You really cannot tell the difference! The pie was not as creamy as bought, but then it isn't as creamy when you start from a pumpkin, either!

I have tried a lot of pumpkin pie recipes, and while they were all good to eat I have never gotten that smooth texture that canned pumpkin gives. When the kids were still growing that did not matter much, but I noticed that they got more picky as their appetites' started to drop, and I no longer make pumpkin (or butternut) pies from the garden. .

I cannot find my recipe for pumpkin bread, unfortunately, though I DID try to find it. It is a lot like banana bread, but you add pumpkin and raisins and pumpkin pie spice. I make it almost every year, but for the life of me I cannot find the recipe!.

Last edited:

Ask a Question