Butternut Squash curing

Reaction score
Country
United States
In planting zone 6b, by the time I picked my butternut squash, it was too late to cure it outside. Temps are in the 60s, grey skies and frequent rain. So I guess I'll bring it in. How long might they last without curing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
i am in 6b. i still have about 30 butternut squash on a rack outside. picked Monday. will store them inside in a few days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Cure??? Not sure the term of Curing a squash Just picked up a huge butternut squash from an Amish farm up the street from me, its as long as my arm. made some of it for dinner last night with goat cheese , pine nuts and pasta. Right now baking off the rest of it to puree for freezing later, to have for pies, breads, or soup.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I've had my butternut squash in my living room for the last 2.5 weeks to cure.

I remember reading 2 weeks for curing a few years ago. I checked Johnny Seeds and they suggest 2 months.

I'd try mine now but we just haven't put it in the meal rotation yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Some say do not help them with a wash, rather separate dry and allow for airflow underneath. I am not able to follow northern advice due to the humidity here. Separate and dry- yes, but an anti fungal wash helps us due to our extremely high humidity. They will survive months this way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Was able to roast my butternut squash and made 4 containers of 2 cups each puree for the freezer. they will be used for soup, pies, or bread whenever. Still never heard of or know what "curing" a squash means. If I ever did buy a bunch of them, I'd have them sit out in the garage, but the local ones about are so big.

Ask a Question