Butterflies and Vegetables

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have done multiple searches and they've yielded nothing, so I'm thinking that maybe my question is just too dumb or it is too vaguely stated.

Can butterflies and vegetables co-exist?

If I want to attract butterflies, am I able to just attract adult butterflies, or are caterpillars part of the deal? I'm thinking about those hornworms that are only too happy to chow down on my tomato plants. I have a small garden area (8' x 6') plus a small patio.

Clearly, I know nothing about butterflies. Help, please. Thanks.

P.S. My bells are enjoying the 60-degree nights. They've waited long enough for them.

bells_1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Well, there are host plants for butterflies where the adults will lay eggs that become caterpillars. There are nectar plants that provide butterflies with nourishment but are not host plants (Budleja davidii, for example). Most butterflies are very particular about where they lay their eggs and most caterpillars will only eat one type of plant (normally the plant where the egg was laid). There are butterflies that lay eggs (that turn into caterpillars) on various vegetables, herbs, and fruits. You have the tomato and related hornworms, the White butterflies lay eggs on cabbage and related Brassicas, some Swallowtail butterflies will lay eggs on citrus, parlsey, rue, carrot tops. Some plants both host and provide nectar for butterflies that are not edible to humans. Aristolochias, and Milkweeds for example. You will have caterpillars on both of these kinds of plants that will eat only the host plant and not your vegetables. So, in brief, if you want butterflies that will not produce caterpillars that eat your vegetables, plant Budleja, Aristolochia, and Milkweed. Of course Budleja, for example, will attract White butterflies who will nectar there and then go lay eggs on your cabbage. Something to keep in mind is that the butterflies that come into a garden, most of the time, are looking for host plants. A host plant is more important to them than a nectar plant. Also keep in mind, the above is very brief and simplified, a starter kit, so to speak. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Butterflies are not your problem. Moths are. The tomato hornworm comes from the 5 spotted hawkbill moth. Loopers also come from a moth. Most butterflies do not affect vegetable plants. A few do but Bt is an extremely effective way to control them.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Can butterflies and vegetables co-exist?

Yes.

Each specie of butterfly has a specific host plant or family of plants that its caterpillars need to eat. Most butterfly and moth caterpillars cannot eat our vegetables and aren't a problem, but a few can.

In that case, if the problem caterpillar is eating foliage of your vegetables, you could look into what other host plants it also eats and add that to your yard, which would allow you to simply move the caterpillars from your vegetables over to that other host plant. For instance, next year I am planting Golden Alexanders (carrot family) to attract Black Swallowtails, whose caterpillars eat carrot-family plants. If I were to find caterpillars eating my carrot foliage, I could just pick them up and move them over to the Golden Alexanders. There are almost always ways to negotiate with nature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Well, there are host plants for butterflies where the adults will lay eggs that become caterpillars. There are nectar plants that provide butterflies with nourishment but are not host plants (Budleja davidii, for example). Most butterflies are very particular about where they lay their eggs and most caterpillars will only eat one type of plant (normally the plant where the egg was laid). There are butterflies that lay eggs (that turn into caterpillars) on various vegetables, herbs, and fruits. You have the tomato and related hornworms, the White butterflies lay eggs on cabbage and related Brassicas, some Swallowtail butterflies will lay eggs on citrus, parlsey, rue, carrot tops. Some plants both host and provide nectar for butterflies that are not edible to humans. Aristolochias, and Milkweeds for example. You will have caterpillars on both of these kinds of plants that will eat only the host plant and not your vegetables. So, in brief, if you want butterflies that will not produce caterpillars that eat your vegetables, plant Budleja, Aristolochia, and Milkweed. Of course Budleja, for example, will attract White butterflies who will nectar there and then go lay eggs on your cabbage. Something to keep in mind is that the butterflies that come into a garden, most of the time, are looking for host plants. A host plant is more important to them than a nectar plant. Also keep in mind, the above is very brief and simplified, a starter kit, so to speak. :)

very informational thanks

Ask a Question