Bush problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

The bush outside the front of my house is covered in brown spots with small holes in it. One part has completely died.
I was hoping someone could help with how/ I can treat it.

Thank you and kind regards,

Lex

Attachments

• 0AEDFA4C-6334-4516-AB05-8CDE09E81C22.jpeg
    0AEDFA4C-6334-4516-AB05-8CDE09E81C22.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 219
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
hi,

The bush outside the front of my house is covered in brown spots with small holes in it. One part has completely died.
I was hoping someone could help with how/ I can treat it.

Thank you and kind regards,

Lex
That looks like either slug, snail, or insect damage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s quite a high bush so I’m assuming slugs or snails wouldn’t climb that High? So maybe an insect?
Although the wrong time of year it could also be a caterpillar, but I would say snails or slugs. Snails can climb quite high. But it is not a disease.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although the wrong time of year it could also be a caterpillar, but I would say snails or slugs. Snails can climb quite high. But it is not a disease.

It has been there quite some time. All the new leaves that are coming are getting the same marks on them. What can I do to stop them eating it? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It has been there quite some time. All the new leaves that are coming are getting the same marks on them. What can I do to stop them eating it? :)
I guess the simplest thing to do is clean up the area under the bush from all of the old leaves and limbs that are their hiding places and apply a snail and slug bait.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I guess the simplest thing to do is clean up the area under the bush from all of the old leaves and limbs that are their hiding places and apply a snail and slug bait.

Ok, I’ll do that. Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
That's Looks like Viburnum beetle Damage on a Viburnum Tinus to me Alexis that is Vary bad pest on Viburnums (If that is what i'm looking at) And the only way to sort it is Regular spraying with a Systemic Insecticide I hate Systemic's But Cant think of another Solution of my head right now. The Larvae will Just Keep eating it. It can and normally does kill Viburnums unless sorted swiftly. As Chuck is Suggesting cleaning under the bush is going to help but it is more important to do that before winter sets in To prevent them Hibernating and waiting for the first sign of spring. Saying this is it is Viburnum beetle cleaning under the shrub will not help as the Female beetles chews through the bark of viburnum twigs and excavate cavities in the underlying pith. There they lay eggs in groups of about eight, covering them with frass (poo). Till its time to hatch as catipillers that eat the leaves

Last edited:

Ask a Question