Bush or weed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
These look like they were planted on purpose, but yet are pretty ugly, especially in winter. It's just starting to green upagain, although i dont recall it going completely bare last winter. Before long they will have little pink
20170311_154010.jpg
20170311_154032.jpg
and yellow flowers that help, but in still not convinced. Is it a bush, flower or weed?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'd say it's a bush. What kind, I don't have any idea, but if it were mine, I'd prune it. I'd take off the top third of it. I'm picturing a straight line across from where the ladder is on the left - everything above there. (Maybe even 6" below that!) (y)

I think if you got it looking neater you might like it better. Do the flowers smell good?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't think it's Weigela. Can I see tiny thorns up the stem? If so that would suggest something that fruits.

I have found the best way to generate more educated guesses is by posting a wild-assed one! Heh.
That said I did think it looked like my weigela, but I just planted it last fall and don't have any photos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think we'll have to wait for pictures of the flowers vette-kid. :)

Yup, seems inconclusive. I'll try to snap one as soon as I see any.

I could trim them lower bit right now they are even with a row of bushes. I think it would look even more odd if they were lower. I dunno. I'd like to replace them with something like the rest of our bushes/hedges. Just not in the cards right now, too much other stuff going on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Lol, those look like Lantana flowers to me. That's a crazy big lantana bush IMO. If that is what you have I'd totally keep it. If you can get it looking healthy again it will attract a ton of butterflies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I do believe you are correct. Google images shows a pink and yellow variety that looks like a dead match. I can't tell the size though. My flowers are pretty small, quarter to silver dollar size. I'll try some more pruning and a light fertilizer and see if it comes in better. It's is a partly shady spot, that may be a problem too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
It's lantana it grows like crazy in heat and sunlight also drought tolerant.
In our 40°+ summer temp with 0 rainfall they are invasive weeds.....

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, back home they are wild flowers along the roadside and it was hot, humid in summer 36C easily .. Don't worry, about it being in a shady area as granted the right humidity, they self seed and I have always noticed that plants have legs and will self seed in a kind of mini explosion in areas suitable for them. My cerinthes have already WALKED to their favourite spots and the alstroemerias gone back to the kerb stones, AGAIN! Much to my annoyance as growing there will enable even old respectable-looking ladies to pinch your seeds.. :eek::eek::cry:

Ask a Question