Burpee strikes again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ordered a Maypop Passionflower "plant" from Burpee. I order from them because we have had good luck with their seeds and they are a well known company. What arrived was a 5"x5"x9.5" box containing a 3.5" square pot, some loose potting medium spilled out of it, a tiny tuft of loose hair like root fibers and a twisted sheet of butcher paper. There was nothing to contain the contents of the pot, nothing to retain moisture and the contents were loose and shaken up in the box. There was not even anything to indicate right side up - in fact the label itself was upside down to the pot, though being completely floating around in the box, who knows which way up it started out. There is no discernible "plant", just some loose root fibers, not even anything to indicate which way up this so called "plant" should be re-potted. Obviously it is not going to survive and grow into a real plant. They have not responded to my complaint, so I guess I will have to claim my refund from the credit card company. All other plants I have ordered from other companies have been well packaged and protected and constrained in their pot. They have also been actual plants with anywhere from 2 to 8 inches of growth above the soil - whether growing or dormant - and that includes other Passionflowers. This is a ripoff at best and considering what other companies are offering, a scam at worst. Before reordering from someone else I asked specific questions and have been guaranteed by two other companies that they will supply plants with up to 8" of growth above the soil. I have now ordered a replacement from another company that is a 1 gallon size plant - for only a couple of dollars more!!!! I will never order anything form Burpee again, including seeds.

Ask a Question