Burning Vegetation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Will burning last years vegetation add potash to the soil? Should I turn that pictured under or just allow the rain / water to do its thing?

Attachments

• Burn - 4-15-21.JPG
    Burn - 4-15-21.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
The plan is for 6 tomato plants in that area so the dirt for each of those will be turned over in about a 76 cm dia. circle for each so this old man will leave it at that. Plowing sod like soil with a shovel isn't nearly as enjoyable as it was 20 years ago.

Give Peas a chance - I haven't had new creamed garden peas and new potatoes since I was a kid. It doesn't get better than that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Actually @SeniorCitizen, I have to thank you for giving me a nudge! I have planted a lot of new roses in my new gardens, and there`s a huge pile of ashes in the gun emplacement where we have all the bonfires. Zigs has promised to organise some well sieved ash for me to give the roses a boost for the summer - he has lots of other jobs to do, but he will find time :giggle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So the old folks down here make lye soap with ashes by soaking them in water. That is interesting relative to quantity. I think I would be conservative, maybe spread them out a good bit. I usually put out my fires with water, to preserve the charcoals. Maybe that rinse has a benefit I did not realize.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of the old ideas are the best young man :giggle: My grandparents used to clean their teeth with soot & salt!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Some of the old ideas are the best young man :giggle: My grandparents used to clean their teeth with soot & salt!
Luckily both salt and baking soda had been discovered / invented by the time i got my first tooth brush. And something else that's of historic significance , i won the - Best Teeth - contest, - nearly perfect - at age 12 as a 3rd grader;) in a class of 200 . And at age 80 i still have them all except 4 wisdom teeth the caused problems as a young man.

Ask a Question