Bunny ears cactus wrinkled?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
9C3B9B63-BB36-40B7-AF14-66816C3F94F7.jpeg
A couple days ago, the health pads fell off my bunny ears cactus, then I check it today, and this has happened. Is this due to over or under watering? Can this be salvaged?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

Yes, you can root a fallen cactus pad. Cactus do fold up when dry, but they also recover fully when watered again, but this may take awhile with this pad until it grows new roots. With succulents it is good to treat cuttings very similarly to rooted plants. Place in bright light, water, let the soil mostly dry and then water again. The soil and pot must drain well. The soil you are using has a lot of peat in it which isn't ideal for cactus, but Bunny-ear Cactus (Opuntia microdasys) is a fairly adaptable species so it may do fine, if not overwatered.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think overwatering is the issue here?
The wrinkles have continued to get worse throughout the day so is the cactus done for?

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions, I’m a relatively new cactus owner

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't see any sign of overwatering. Let the soil drain well and mostly dry between watering and it should be fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully it bounces back :) I deported and examined the roots and I couldn’t see any visible rot, there has been a heatwave here in the uk recently maybe it’s due to suddenly changing conditions?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cacti will often wrinkle so when they become dehydrated, but I have also seen stems that have stayed wrinkled even when watered simply due to the vagaries of growth. In and of itself, I do not consider it a cause for alarm.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cacti will often wrinkle so when they become dehydrated, but I have also seen stems that have stayed wrinkled even when watered simply due to the vagaries of growth. In and of itself, I do not consider it a cause for alarm.
Alright thank you, I’m just a little concerned because I’ve heard mixed feedback from others saying that it’s rotting and that it’s overwatered,the wrinkling has gotten worse since the photo which is another reason for my concern, it shouldn’t be dehydrated as I have been watering it every 2-3 days with a small bottle cap full of water - maybe that isn’t enough? It’s been the same watering pattern for the two or so months I’ve had it and the wrinkling has only started these past few days
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
To be more certain of good drainage, I can recommend re-potting the plants in new soil. Select a gritty, rocky soil blend designed for cactus. If you do re-pot, knock away as much of the old soil as you can without damaging the existing roots. Also double-check the container to make certain it has no drainage issues. Some bark and peat in cactus soil isn't always a problem, but it might be in your case.

Ask a Question