Bunny Ear Cactus shriveled and wrinkled

DDW

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
IMG_7919.jpg
IMG_7920.jpg

My bunny ears cactus starts to shrivel and wrinkle heavily.
I thought the problem was that the cactus didn't recieve enough light or water.
I already tried a different watering, without better results.

The new pads still look thick and healthy. Should I remove these pads?

This cactus and myself share a lot of history, so I would really like to save the cactus!!
Thanks a lot!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Opuntias usually shrivel up in the winter, it's part of their survival strategy. It can take a few waterings to rehydrate them.

Just as a precaution twist off one of the newer pads and put it in some well drained compost till it roots.

Use a cloth to handle it as the tiny spines called glochids will stick in your skin. Dispose of the cloth afterwards.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Yes indeed, many cactus, including your White Bunny-ear Opuntia (Opuntia microdasys 'Albispina') will fold like an accordion when drought-stressed and will often recover fully when water is again received. However, even a cactus can dry out to the point of death, and furthermore, rot can sometimes masquerade as normal dehydration. In temperate climes, it is often wise to not water cactus at all in the colder Winter months,t though if temperatures and light are high enough this may be done. Try to give your cactus as much sunlight as possible in Winter, and throughout the year. as always, fast-draining soil that mostly dries between irrigation episodes is the first imperative.

By all means do remove a pad and start a separate plant. Holding the pad with gloves and tongs or thick cardboard during the procedure is essential to avoid a minor but annoying injury to yourself.

Ask a Question